Estimated Work Start Date: ASAP
Rate: $88/ - $98/ Incorporated
Work Location: Hybrid Model, Edmonds, BC
This position is part of the Transmission Lines and Stations Estimating Team located at BC Hydro's office in Burnaby, BC. This team is responsible for preparing cost estimates and providing cost estimating support, scheduling input and construction expertise for capital and maintenance projects for a wide variety of transmission lines and substations. Project range in size and include both new infrastructure and upgrades to existing infrastructure for all project stages.
DUTIES: The successful candidate:
* As an experienced Professional Engineer, prepares the direct and indirect cost estimates for services, labour, materials and equipment, and the high level schedules for 69kV - 500kV transmission line (overhead, submarine and underground cable) and substation projects during Planning, Identification, Definition and Implementation Phases.
* Gathers information on project scope of work and contracting plans and assists in the establishment of the project work breakdown structure in preparation for estimating.
* Develops and manages the estimating work package or activities for the project, reviews the work packages of others for completeness vs the project scope before incorporating in the project estimate.
* Communicates with, and reviews the work and progress of assigned Hydro staff, consultants and contractors and completed works to ensure accuracy, achievement of required results and adherence to accepted engineering practice and procedures, and with the project work breakdown structure.
* Prepares information to support regulatory processes
* Prepares for, coordinates, conducts or presents estimates at management review meetings or at meetings addressing issues related to the estimate/schedule in a project.
* Reviews final estimate package and ensure it meets all the requirements and comments from reviewers prior to final approvals/acceptance of the estimate.
* Provides input to and review of contract specifications and tender packages for bid-ability assessment, and to the contract schedule of payments
* Analyze and report various attributes such as contractor progress, contract variance and complex change requests from vendors, and overall analysis to support the estimating process or overall project performance.
* Supervises, coaches and mentors other staff in the department, which may include both BC Hydro employees and consultants.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate will have:
* Bachelor of engineering degree in the Electrical or Civil disciplines; preference will be given to candidates with an electrical engineering background
* Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC)
* A minimum Eight (8) years of combined experience in engineering and construction including at least Four (4) years related experience in heavy industrial projects estimating and scheduling working on varied complex utility contracts projects up to or in excess of $100 million in total project value. This experience should be primarily in the area of estimating rather than project control. Preferably this experience is for power utility transmission lines (overhead & underground) and substation related projects.
* Demonstrated proficiency as a senior estimator with a solid understanding of estimating principles and practices, including risk, accuracy, Monte Carlo simulations, market and industry conditions.
* Demonstrated knowledge and experience with multi-discipline engineering design (electrical, protection and control, civil, geotechnical, etc.)
* Working knowledge of project management principles
* Knowledge of, and experience with estimating and scheduling software and proficiency with MS Office (including MS Word, Excel, & PowerPoint), and ability to develop and work with computer models.
* Well-developed and highly proficient English verbal and written communications skills,.
* Excellent leadership, facilitation, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
* Have a high level of initiative and ability to juggle multiple assignments and competing priorities.
* Have demonstrated planning, organizational, analytical and problem solving skills and the good judgment to develop innovative estimating and planning techniques and to apply practical knowledge in the analysis and resolution of problems
* Valid Class-5, or equivalent, driver's license, and able and willing to travel and occasionally work at remote B.C. locations, and as a condition of employment maintain your Class 5 Drivers license in Good Standing
* Experience in preparing substation conceptual layouts (for electrical discipline) based on single line diagrams.
* A Member of AACE International organization and familiar with the AACE's estimating recommended practices is preferred