Senior Electrical Engineer - 15057
Estimated Work Start Date 13-Dec-2021
Location: Burnaby, BC
Work Assignment Overview: The Stations Maintenance-Generation Electrical team has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Electrical Engineer to do facility ratings updates and maintenance of rotating and reactive equipment.
* The E4 - Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time. Experience and Role Accountabilities
* A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
* Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
* Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
* Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
* Participate in BC Hydro's engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
* Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time. Education and Skills
* Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
* BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
* Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
* Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
* Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
* Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Electrical - Generation - Stations
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
* This role requires experience with the design of electrical utility generation system and demonstrated experience working with utility design solutions a in an electric utility environment.
* Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with BC Hydro project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
* Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
* Prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro Design Practices.
* Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field, and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
* Prepare engineering deliverables under the direct supervision of a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro Design Practices.
* Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field, and undertake field reviews under the direct supervision of a PoR.
* Prepare detailed designs and documentation for electrical systems and electrical equipment in generation stations in accordance with BC Hydro and industry standards and practices.
* Prepare detailed design packages (equipment layouts, single line diagrams, three line diagrams, cable schedules, material lists, external connections, etc.) required to install or modify equipment, including interfacing to the existing station systems, ready to issue and archive in the BC Hydro Drawing file system. The electrical
* Providing technical review of designs prepared by others following established practices.
* Prepare reports detailing condition assessment investigations of facility equipment and systems, evaluation and analysis of the investigation, and recommendations to address any deficiencies found.
* Provide technical guidance during equipment installation and commissioning.
* Prepare or review/accept inspection test plans for factory acceptance test and site acceptance test
* Prepare commissioning test plans and summary of requirements documentation.
* Perform various engineering calculations: grounding study, arc flash study, short-circuit, cable design, etc. Additional Education and Skills
* Ability to provide technical directions to junior engineers
* Ability to manage design tasks including scope, schedule and cost
* Ability to find engineering solutions that add value and to reach consensus
* Ability to communicate efficiently including verbal and technical writing in the English language, analytical, interpersonal communications and presentation skills
* Experience in project management including estimating, cost control and project administration
* Ability to coordinate multiple projects and to plan and manage project resources
* Ability to prepare technical specifications for tendering, evaluate tenders, and make recommendations for awards
(Max Characters: 8000)
* The work includes updates to facility rating drawings, maintenance, diagnostics, testing, repairs, failure investigation/analysis, inspections, condition assessments, equipment health rating (EHR) reviews and updates, maintenance program reviews, maintenance instructions, and preparation of standards, specifications and cost estimates of generating equipment (i.e. generators, rotating exciters, transformers, circuit breakers). Furthermore, the team is responsible for managing fleet-wide programs such as Arc Flash assessments and Ground Grid studies for all BC Hydro Generating Stations.
* The work requires a technical expert who has a high degree of specialization to provide maintenance support and advice to various technical and non-technical personnel including generation plant and engineering design staff. The successful candidate will be able to work independently and in a team environment and embodies safety in their work, especially when working at site.
* Prepare reports and effectively communicate findings from inspections or analysis to technical and non-technical staff.
* Ensure project resources (i.e. people, time, budget) are being utilized effectively to achieve business results.
* Analyze and resolve challenging and unusual engineering problems with considerable independence.
* Develop and maintain effective professional relationships with internal and external colleagues in order to determine relative priorities, assess the impact of work on others and resolve issues of concern.
* Solid understanding of related Standards and Codes used in the industry.
* Demonstrated ongoing development such as self-study, attendance at technical and administrative courses and participation in technical and professional societies.
* Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple projects and to plan and manage project resources is desirable.
* Demonstrated strong technical writing and presentation skills, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are essential.
* The position requires specialized knowledge of electrical power equipment. The ideal candidate would have design, manufacturing, and maintenance experience in the power equipment industry.
Demonstrated experience with the following tests are an asset for this role:
* Root-cause analysis skills
* Grounding (including switchyard grounding) and bonding
* Arc Flash
Hydro and Turbo Generators
* AC and DC Overvoltage Test
* Power Factor / Dissipation Factor Test
* Electromagnetic Core Imperfection Detection (ELCID) and Core Loop Test
* Rotor Flux Test
* Recurrent Surge Oscillation (RSO) and Surge Test
* Partial Discharge Test
* Stator Wedge Test
* TC and VE Accelerated Aging Test
* Armature and Field Tests
* Partial Discharge Test
* Gas-In-Oil and Oil Quality Test
* Power Factor Test
* Partial Discharge and coax cables Time Domain Reflectometry (TDR) Tests Overvoltage Test
* Majority of work is performed within the office environment. Some travel and time away from home will be required. There will be exposure to hazards from operation, testing and/or construction equipment when at the field sites.
* A condition of employment for this job is that you maintain your Driver's License: Class 5 In Good Standing.
* Candidates with lesser experience may be considered for a position appropriate to their level of experience.