Manager, Contracting Services
Location: Port Hope
Duration: 2 Years
- Managing all aspects of the procurement program (including staff) for PHAI and LLRWMO procurement activities, including planning sourcing strategies, contract development, Request for Proposal (RFP) development, evaluations, obtaining approval, award, and contract / order administration. This includes ensuring procurement timelines are adequately understood and incorporated into the project schedule.
- Responsible for supplier management, data analysis, procurement process and systems applications while ensuring compliance to Policies, Procedures, Codes and Standards, and applicable Federal and Provincial (or Territorial) Legislation.
- Developing and maintaining a strong procurement capability by ensuring staff are proficient, professional, developed, and organized to ensure optimal delivery of procurement services.
- Ensuring client has a strong base of qualified suppliers, new sources of limited supply are identified and qualified, vendor consolidation is maximized, the best value for money is received, risk exposure is managed and minimized, and supplier performance is continuously monitored and evaluated with corrective actions identified and taken as necessary.
- Ensuring continuous execution, monitoring, and evaluation and reporting of performance and progress against established goals and objectives. This responsibility includes initiation of actions aligned to meet HWP MO requirements, shift staff effort to higher value activities and achieve continuous improvement.
- Confirming compliance with the procurement program and procurement QA related processes and procedures through completion of program reviews and self-assessments. Ensure identified opportunities for improvement are actioned.
- The lead for negotiating issues and claims on large and/or high risk contracts, including managing internal Project Managers and Leaders, Legal Advisors, and technical experts as necessary through the negotiation process. Includes informal and formal dispute resolution processes, including mediation and arbitration.
- Establishing and managing relationships with key Suppliers and ensuring integrity of individual contractual relationships, for contracts that are large-scale, high risk and of critical significance to the ongoing success of client.
Specific to the functional responsibilities of the Manager, Contracting Services, s/he will be required to perform the following:
- Maintain strong and effective interfaces with key staff across all of client with primary focus on the HWP management teams.
- Develop an excellent understanding of the HWP MO oversight framework, including commitments client (AECL) via the Site Operating Company Agreement while fostering positive working relationships with the framework of governance, safe project execution, social and political environment, overall program and contractual requirements. Consider each of these factors in the strategic planning of procurement activities for the overall success of the HWP.
- Strategic-level understanding and decision-making experience related to Federal procurement policies as they apply to client to ensure contracting approaches applied by the HWP MO are understood and accepted by Industry; as necessary, recommend options to mitigate negative feedback that may result in contractual and political challenges for the HWP.
- Act as the single-point-of-contact for HWP MO procurement reporting and analysis of near and long-term impacts on project progress overall.
A University Bachelor's Degree in Business Management, Commerce, Law and/or Economics, 10+ years of progressively experience in contracting, or equivalent combination of education and experience in a senior or lead contracting/negotiating capacity.
Extensive knowledge and understanding of commercial contracts, agreements and terms and conditions, as well as government contracting requirements, competitive bidding laws of Canada, and Contract Law. Understanding of the Legal system, and how contracts are executed and issues resolved.
Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, along with the proven ability to mediate and negotiate well.
Excellent business judgement and savvy with a proven ability to make decisions under pressure that are of high consequence to risk, performance, and budget.
Demonstrated management skills and experience including resource management, budgeting, planning and reporting, team building and relationship management.
Excellent written and verbal communication ability including organizational savvy to navigate documents and presentations through senior leadership.
Expected communications internal to client:
- Act as the HWP MO's professional expert in communicating contracting strategies and methodologies, and in capably handling claims management/negotiation.
- Liaise regularly with Directors and Managers across client, providing both support in response to critical demands, as well as eliciting support towards compliance of contracting policies, procedures and best practices.