Back to jobs
23-006 - Project Leader
23-006 - Project Leader
Number of Vacancies: 2
Hours: up to 35 hours per week
Duration: 2 years
Location: Darlington Station
- Undertake the organizing, coordinating and controlling of all stages of project management in accordance with Project Management governance for assigned projects or project packages in all project phases from initiation to closeout, as circumstances require.
- Utilize approved Project Management processes for phase-gating, integration, scope, schedule, cost, change control, estimating, communications and reporting, and risk.
- Perform project management activities throughout the lifecycle of assigned projects, ensuring all project objectives and commitments are controlled and delivered within targets of safety, quality, budget and schedule.
- Provide input into the preparation of project background information, contribute to scope and constructability reviews, assist in the preparation of
- Business Case Submissions to senior management, the Executive Office and the Board of Directors, for project approval and the release of funds.
- Prepare and coordinate the preparation of all information pertinent to an assigned project and alternatives to be considered for input into planning.
- Review, provide input into, and accept project charters for assigned projects. Initiate and coordinate scopes of work (WBS), estimates, schedules, risk management plans, project management plans, gate packages, and contract performance specifications. Develop structures for estimating and controlling project cost and schedule. Gather input from stakeholder departments and agencies to ensure project requirements are captured and detailed in the estimate and execution plans.
- Arrange for application to, and negotiate with internal and external agencies for all necessary approvals, licenses, permits or clearances required. Ensure proper process is followed when defining labour requirements and arranging for labour resources.
- Coordinate the clarification of design and specification requirements, and arrange for necessary changes. Co-ordinate and participate in the preparation of specifications, bid packages, evaluation of tenders, and purchasing recommendations.
- Arrange and lead meetings to coordinate the requirements of, and progress by designers, suppliers, construction and operations before and after contract award. Maintain close liaison with field construction and operations on matters involving design, schedules, costing, and other related issues.
- Provide immediate and higher management with regular project or work package reports. Monitor, evaluate and report on cost and schedule, and manage changes. Review cost variance reports, provide explanations and recommendations for disposition of variances, and take corrective actions when required. Evaluate project plans at every stage for project risk and develop mitigation plans. Execute other project management functions as required by corporate policies and procedures.
- Resolve and assist with resolution of issues and problems, as necessary to ensure that project deliverables are achieved as per plan, and that any changes to scope, schedule, and cost are managed and approved in line with process and procedure.
- As assigned, ensure Contract Management through all stages of the contracting process is carried out. Recommend to Supervisor the assignment of additional cross-functional resources as required. Work closely with the cross-functional team to ensure that roles are clearly defined and properly understood and that all project and contract requirements are communicated.
- Manage and maintain communication with internal and external stakeholders, regulatory bodies and agencies, and cooperate in exchange of relevant information as required to meet the project objectives. Arrange and chair meetings involving appropriate stakeholders with a given project. Guide and direct discussions involving internal staff, contractors, manufacturers, suppliers and the like, in an effort to efficiently and effectively meet project objectives. Coordinate the preparation of project turnover documentation and ensure completeness. Document and address outstanding project deficiencies.
- Visit various site locations, manufacturers, and suppliers as required. Be prepared to observe plant sites and installations in Canada and outside the country to observe manufacturing progress, techniques, equipment, etc. Provide input as required, and utilize knowledge gained for Ontario Power Generation application.
- Maintain awareness of, and keep all project parties informed of latest construction, budgeting, estimating and scheduling practices and other corporate procedures.
- Review and maintain awareness of all corporate and local procedures pertinent to project control and administration.
- Maintain process compliance during project execution and advise supervisor if compliance cannot be achieved.
- Participate in programs to dispose of surplus equipment which become available, consequent to cancelled construction projects, such as unused turbines, generators and the like or are being disposed of as part of a project.
- Meet with potential buyers and attempt to influence same to accept such equipment in lieu of other purchases.
- Maintain an awareness of technological advancements in project management, engineering and construction fields.
- Review technical publications and other literature. Communicate with project management counterparts internally and externally to discuss views on improved processes, designs, products, methods and techniques.
- On a periodic basis, where dictated by circumstance, be responsible for supervision. Assemble job information and plan work as necessary.
- Assign portions of the work, and provide advice and direction as required. Check and assume responsibility for the work issued.
- Other Duties as Required
- Experience with Nuclear Industry, preferably Nuclear Power Plant Experience in refurbishment of nuclear power plant is an asset
- P.ENG., PMP are assets
- Project management, specifically, experience in developing project requirements and plans, preparing cost estimates, participating in request for proposal and contract bidding and award processes, managing projects in execution phase, and managing project closeout.
- Managing conflicting priorities of scope, schedule, cost and quality.
- Familiarity with equipment and processes in generating station or similar heavy industry.
- Solving problems and providing guidance. Knowledge of cost accounting and forecasting as it relates to project management.
- Knowledge of commercial contracting methods, contract management, construction methods, codes and standards, quality assurance and health and safety.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Experience and ability as a team player to understand and manage the interrelationships of various internal and external groups in order to facilitate objectives and ensure projects satisfy stakeholder requirements.
- Experience and knowledge related to environmental protection and associated concerns. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.