Back to jobs
Role: Civil Engineer
Number of Vacancies: 1
Duration: 1 year
Location: 14000 Niagara Parkway, Niagara-On-The-Lake
Hours: up to 35 hours per week
- 4 year university degree in civil engineering with structural or geotechnical specialty.
- Unrestricted P. Eng. certification in good standing in the Province of Ontario.
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a Civil Engineer is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the OH&S Act and Regulations, especially for Industrial Establishments (Ont. Reg. 851) & Construction (Ont. Reg. 213) in Ontario & the Ontario Building Code Compendium & various codes and standards associated with civil/structural/geotechnical engineering and application of their requirements.
- Experience with planning and conducting assessments, studies, inspections, investigations, designing, evaluating, construction monitoring & maintenance of civil works associated with hydroelectric and thermal generating stations.
- Experience using construction methods, testing and inspection of concrete and steel for analysis of conditions in response to development, dam safety assessment, maintenance/rehabilitation requirements of generation stations.
- Experience in Civil engineering associated with design, rehabilitation of civil assets, including civil/structural analysis, design, and finite element methods and associated software.
- Ability to Independently problem solve with methods and tools required for civil/structural engineering applications.
- Knowledge of Dam safety requirements for concrete dams, water retaining structures, dam instrumentation, grouting, seismology, earthquake engineering, machine foundation vibration, and vibration monitoring and interpretation.
- Knowledge of Dam performance monitoring and evaluation including instrumentation design, instrumentation and monitoring data review, assessment of data from automated data acquisition systems, and defining instrumentation and inspection requirements at specific sites.
- Experience conducting field inspections (OSIM) and associated activities for Dam Safety and other work programs at remote plant/dam sites.
- Knowledge of Dam Safety Program support including Dam Safety Reviews, Dam Performance Monitoring, Instrumentation Data analysis and Dam Safety Inspections.
- Experience with assessments, review and design associated with seismology, earthquake engineering and machine floor loading/vibration in relation to thermal and hydroelectric generating stations.
- Software associated with civil/structural design, field survey, monitoring and instrumentation.
- Experience in analysis and remediation of concrete dam seepage, rock anchors and grouting.
- Reporting preparation, and strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work with people.
- A results oriented, efficient & value oriented focus, excellent verbal and written communicator, with high integrity to uphold company values including H&S, and protection of the environment.
- Able to work in confined space (as defined in the occupational health and safety act).
- Experience in a Hydro/Thermal plant is an asset.
- Valid Ontario Drivers License in good standing.
- Willingness to travel via road, airplane, float plane, helicopter etc. 25% of time.