Contract Duration: July 4th 2022 - June 30th 2023
Hours: 7.5 Monday-Friday
* The E3 - Engineer is a fully qualified and accredited engineering professional who applies theoretical and practical knowledge to provide engineering design, estimating, planning, and quality management services for low to medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
* A minimum four (4) years of in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
* Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform activities such as developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on low to medium complexity assignments for projects and/or operations.
* Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by performing activities such as proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
* Participate in BC Hydro's engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making typical decisions related to standard methods and designs so that BC Hydro's engineering standards are maintained.
* Perform periodic tasks independently which may include on-site construction quality control and monitoring to ensure design compliance.
* Engage with BC Hydro's senior engineering team where engineering problems are difficult, complex, or unusual to support BC Hydro's management of engineering risk.
* Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm's, Permit to Practice with EGBC.
* EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this assignment shall work under BC Hydro's Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm's Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws. Education and Skills
* University graduate in applied science or engineering
* Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
* BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
* Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
* Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
* Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
* Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
* This role requires experience with the design of protection and control systems in electrical utility substations with operating voltages from 12kV to 500kV and demonstrated experience working with utility P&C design solutions and protection & control systems in an electric utility environment.
* The work is focused on the protection and control systems used in transmission stations with operating voltages from 12kV to 500kV.
* Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with BC Hydro project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
* Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
* Prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC) and BC Hydro design practices.
* Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
* Prepare detailed designs and documentation for protection and control systems in substations with operating voltages from 12 kV to 500 kV in accordance with BC Hydro and industry standards and practices.
* Prepare detailed design packages (equipment layouts, single line diagrams, ac/dc schematics diagrams, cable schedules, wiring diagrams, material lists, external connections) required to install or modify equipment, including interfacing to the existing station systems, ready to issue and archive in the BC Hydro Drawing file system.
* Specify and procure materials, panel assemblies and other related equipment. * Prepare reports detailing condition assessment investigations of facility equipment and systems, evaluation and analysis of the investigation, and recommendations to address any deficiencies found.
* Prepare commissioning test plans and summary of requirements documentation.
* Providing technical guidance and review of designs prepared by others following established practices.
* Provide training for end-users and peers on the theory and operational use of the installed or modified equipment/systems.
- Must have P.Eng registration
- Must be located in Vancouver
- Previous BC Hydro or Electric Utility experience is an asset
- Automation Design experience is an asset
Additional work overview:
- Draft and review station asset inventory list according to BC Hydro spread sheet and review guide.
- Provide task progress update and attend project team meetings as needed.
EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this contract shall work under BC Hydro's Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm's Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during the course of their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws.
This role requires regular or occasional attendance at a BC Hydro workplace(s) and as such will be subject to BC Hydro's Contractor Vaccination Policy. This policy requires all contractor resources to be fully vaccinated by January 10, 2022 or prior to the work assignment start date whichever date is later.