* The E4 - Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time. Experience and Role Accountabilities
* A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent
* Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
* Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
* Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
* Participate in BC Hydro's engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro. Important notes:
*Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm's, Permit to Practice with EGBC.
* EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this assignment shall work under BC Hydro's Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm's Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws. Education and Skills
* Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
* BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
* Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
* Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
* Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software * Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
* This role requires demonstrated experience with the design of Overhead - lines for operating voltages from 60kV to 500kV in an electric utility environment.
* Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with BC Hydro project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis, calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
* Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
* Prepare signed and sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro Design Practices. * Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field, and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC. * Prepare designs for existing and new facilities.
* Prepare designs, drawings, and bill of material for Transmission Overhead - Lines using various structure types (rigid and guyed) such as single and multiple pole structures, lattice; various structure configurations; structure materials such as steel, timber, aluminum, composites; conductor types such as aluminum and steel, copper, and composites; single and bundled conductors; and various related hardware.
* Prepare designs and apply loads and design criteria in accordance with regulatory and industry standards.
* Design and prepare plan and profile drawings of Overhead - lines using PLS-CADD software.
* Manipulate traditional and LiDAR survey data in models.
* Design fibre optic lines on new and existing transmission and distribution structures.
* Consider associated and related civil, mechanical, and electrical systems in design, such as right of way use, foundation connections, surge arresters, disconnect switches, lightening protection, phase separation, conductor hardware assemblies, guy assemblies, insulators, aerial marking, damping, vibration, jumpers, spacers, arcing horns, radio interference, audible noise, conductor optimization, galloping, vibration.
* Prepare commissioning test plans and summary of requirements documentation.
* Consider interface of lines terminations with Station design.
* Provide technical guidance and review of designs prepared by others following established practices.
* Manage design tasks including scope, schedule, and cost.
Additional Education and Skills
* Communicate effectively in English verbally and in writing.
The work assignment involves modeling of overhead transmission lines in PLS-CADD, running clearance checks to ascertain maximum conductor operating temperature, and preparing, signing and sealing, in POR capacity, Line Rating Reports to document the validated line ratings. The assignment will be done in accordance with BC Hydro's pertinent standards and practices and in collaboration with BC Hydro's Owner's Engineers and stakeholders. The work assignment will involve multiple line assignments at any given time, with each line at different stages of workflow and/or having different characteristics (e.g. voltage, line length, urban vs rural, sparse survey points vs dense LiDAR, etc.).
Additional Role Requirements:
- High proficiency in using PLS-CADD
- Minimum one (1) year experience in conducting line rating studies, defining practical line-side remediation options to address rating deficiencies and collaborating with stakeholders to arrive at right-sized rating remediation solutions
- Ability to anticipate and identify potential issues that may hinder progress, shift focus across line assignments as needed, and traverse across workflows accordingly to maintain overall production targets
- Working knowledge of BC Hydro Transmission Engineering Overhead Lines Standards and Design Practices is an asset
This role requires regular or occasional attendance at a BC Hydro workplace(s) and as such will be subject to BC Hydro's Contractor Vaccination Policy. This policy requires all contractor resources to be fully vaccinated by January 10, 2022 or prior to the work assignment start date whichever date is later.