Reporting to the Director of Reactor Components and Mechanical Engineering Division.
Location: Toronto - hybrid
Job Type; Full-time Permanent
Salary: Up to $155,000
The Tube and Vessel Design Engineering Manager will lead the design engineering activities for the assigned project.
Your role within the team:
- Providing the lead role in tube and vessel design engineering including the preparation of the technical specifications, drawings, design specifications, bill of materials, and design certifications.
- Providing technical expertise on code and standard requirements such as CSA N285 and ASME Section III Division 1 pressure boundary requirements.
- Responsible for developing project scope and deliverable definition in compliance with the governing contract documents, quality requirements for the project and any additional customer requirements.
- Assisting in the preparation of proposals in support of the engineering scope on the assigned project.
- Makes decision/recommendation with respect to resourcing requirements on the project and work with the relevant functional managers who will assign the engineering resources.
- Ensuring that an appropriate combination of skills and experience is maintained within the project to be able to provide technical leadership and specialized expertise as required to support the project.
- Mentoring, training, developing, motivating, coaching, and evaluating the performance of the staff.
- Working with the PD and PED to plan the work, ensuring resource availability and allocation, assigning tasks and progress reporting against deliverables.
- Ensuring that the activities are executed in accordance with the specified requirements including review and endorsement of the technical content of the deliverables, verification and ensuring a high-quality of deliverables, on-time and within budget delivery of the deliverables, and approval of the deliverables.
- Review and approve project related documents/drawings and ensure technical work meets the QA program and project requirements.
- Ensure that all project activities are performed in accordance with applicable codes and standards and company quality assurance manual.
- Interfacing with internal and external customers and stakeholders to establish the priorities and ensure leads and staff are working on the prioritized scope of work.
- Provide strong leadership within the project team, and within the company for aspects related to tube and vessel design engineering.
- Interface with the regulatory bodies such as: TSSA, ISCIR, CNCAN, and CNSC, as required.
- Form and maintain working relationships with clients, partners, suppliers, and project stakeholders.
- Raise scope change (either requested by the client or discovered internally due to technical findings) and critical issues to the PD and PED.
- Lead assigned engineers to find solutions for the technical issues. If needed, engage additional help from Functional Engineering to seek issue resolution.
- Foster a good working relationship with staff, and managers in the Reactor Components and Mechanical Engineering Divisions as well as other Divisions.
- Provide clear expectations and performance measures, meaningful feedback, and recognize and reward achievements.
- Provides feedback and effective recommendations regarding technical staff performance to functional home.
- Make decisions/recommendations on human resource issues and effectively manage and resolve work performance problems as they relate to the project.
The ideal Candidate:
- University bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, with a minimum of 10 years technical experience in tube and vessel design and/or mechanical engineering.
- Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario.
- Knowledgeable in CSA N285 and ASME Section III Division 1 pressure boundary requirements.
- Overall understanding of the CANDU reactor design and understanding of the design of tube and vessel.
- Demonstrated skills in the management/lead of technical projects, and leadership of a highly technical group to accomplish the assigned project goals.
- Demonstrated people skills to interact with external clients and organizations.
- Ability to resolve technical issues.
- Understanding of quality assurance manuals and procedures.
- Willing to visit project site to meet project needs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and presentation skills.