Working Hours: M-F 7.5 hours per day
Duration: 12 months - potential for an additional 12 months
Contract: $85/ - $103/ INC
Location: Must be in office in Burnaby, BC 2 days per week
• The E4 – Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
• A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
• Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
• Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
• Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
• Participate in BC Hydro’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro. Important notes:
• Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm’s, Permit to Practice with EGBC. • EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this assignment shall work under BC Hydro’s Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm’s Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws.
Education and Skills Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
• BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
•Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken •Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards •Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software •Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
• All the required Experience and Role Accountabilities shall relate to Overhead - and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages at or below 35kV.
Support operations, maintenance, repair, replacement and expansion of the BC Hydro Distribution System. • Investigate, analyze and solve a variety of engineering problems, including the more challenging and unusual, by developing engineering techniques, devising new approaches and/or applying existing criteria in new ways
• Provide technical guidance, instruction, and assistance related to the operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and modifications of equipment
Additional Education and Skills
• Degree in Electrical Engineering recognized by universities in Canada, Power Engineering preferred
• Demonstrated experience and technical knowledge in both Overhead - and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages at or below 35kV including automation
• Broad range of distribution related skills including planning, system engineering, protection engineering, design, and project management
• Demonstrated ability to perform system analysis
• Knowledge of various BC Hydro systems, policies and procedures, preferred
• Willingness to travel
• Maintain good standing in Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia (EGBC) throughout the term of the contract
• Maintain Driver's License Class 5 throughout the term of the contract