Geoscientist - 16693
Estimated Work Start Date: 01-Aug-2022
Estimated Work End Date: 31-Jul-2023
Location: Vernon, BC - Full time
Hourly Rate: $73/hour
Experience and Role Accountabilities:
• Collection, analysis and interpretation of data obtained from site investigations and other published sources, including survey data, LiDAR, satellite imagery, GIS, soil maps, papers, reports, etc.
• Characterize soil and bedrock into distinct units based on the geologic history, site investigation data, and other published sources.
• Develop geologic models based on an interpretation of available sources, including published sources, investigation data and other sources.
• Back-analyze historical drillhole logs in the context of modern lithological classifications to develop revised input for new geological models of historical sites.
• Assess the potential for and impacts of geohazards, including faults, earthquake hazards, landslides, weak soils, etc.
• Spatial analysis and assessment of geotechnical data in GIS.
• Assist in the development of 3D CADD and GIS models.
• Working knowledge of relevant software including gINT, Dips, CADD, ArcGIS etc...
• Ability to work independently, exercising judgment and initiative with limited supervision.
• Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
• Strong proficiency of both written and oral communication in English and be able to prepare well-written technical reports and clearly present work to an audience.
• Ability to provide technical directions to junior resources
• Ability to manage tasks including scope, schedule and cost
• Ability to communicate efficiently including verbal and technical writing in the English language, analytical, interpersonal communications and presentation skills
• Experience in project management including estimating, cost control, and project administration
Candidates must have:
• Undergraduate or higher degree in Geological Sciences
• Valid Class 5 Driver's License
• Registered or eligible for registration with EGBC as a Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo).
• Willingness to work at remote sites throughout British Columbia as required.
• Willingness to work for extended shifts and night shifts as required.
Suitably qualified Engineering Geologist candidates registered or eligible for registration with EGBC as a Professional Engineer will also be considered.
• Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm’s, Permit to Practice with EGBC.
• EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this assignment shall work under BC Hydro’s Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm’s Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws.
- Registered or eligible for registration with EGBC as a Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo).
- Must have valid BC class 5 driver's license.
- Must have experience in development of geological models for sites (Mining)
- Refer to the Work assignment requirements.
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with hydroelectric facilities and landslides.