• The E4 – Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
• A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
• Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
• Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
• Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
•Participate in BC Hydro’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro. Important notes:
•Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm’s, Permit to Practice with EGBC.
•EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this assignment shall work under BC Hydro’s Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm’s Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws. Education and Skills • Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
•BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
• Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
• Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
• Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
• Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
• This role requires experience with the design of Generation protection and control systems in electrical utility Generating stations.
• The work is focused on the protection and control systems related to generating units and associated auxiliary equipment.
• Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with BC Hydro project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
• Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
• Prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro Design Practices.
• Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field, and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
• Prepare detailed designs and documentation for protection and control systems in substations with operating voltages from 12 kV to 500 kV in accordance with BC Hydro and industry standards and practices.
• Prepare detailed design packages (equipment layouts, single line diagrams, ac/dc schematics diagrams, cable schedules, wiring diagrams, material lists, external connections) required to install or modify equipment, including interfacing to the existing station systems, ready to issue and archive in the BC Hydro Drawing file system.
• Specify and procure materials, panel assemblies and other related equipment.
• Providing technical review of designs prepared by others following established practices.
• Prepare reports detailing condition assessment investigations of facility equipment and systems, evaluation and analysis of the investigation, and recommendations to address any deficiencies found.
• Provide technical guidance during equipment installation, calibration and commissioning.
• Prepare commissioning test plans and summary of requirements documentation.
• Provide training for end-users and peers on the theory and operational use of the installed or modified equipment/systems.
- Solid P&C engineering design experience, experience and knowledge of components of Generator system and transformer. Preferred with BC Hydro generation engineering experience.
- Is able to handle multitasks, work independently and lead less experience engineers
- Must be a Registered Professional Engineer with the Association of
Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C (EGBC
- It is preferred that the candidate has Generation station project experience , or heavy industry P&C design experience - on design or programming.
- Two positions are required.
This role requires regular or occasional attendance at a BC Hydro workplace(s) and as such will be subject to BC Hydro’s Contractor Vaccination Policy. This policy requires all contractor resources to be fully vaccinated by January 10, 2022 or prior to the work assignment start date whichever date is later.
EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this contract shall work under BC Hydro’s Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm’s Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during the course of their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws.