Rate: Up to $75/INC + HST
Engineering has a challenging opportunity for an intermediate level engineer to join a team of professionals based at BC Hydro's Edmonds office in Burnaby, BC. This Engineer will be part of our Transmission Stations and Lines Estimating team, providing support for capital and maintenance projects.
Education and Skills
•University graduate in applied science or engineering
•Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
•BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
•Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
• Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
Specific duties include:
• Estimating and planning small to medium capital projects/programs with a focus on rehabilitation work, upgrades and expansions to existing facilities. Ensure that work is not only technically correct but also complies with business drivers and goals, standards, policies, practices and processes.
• Working with multidisciplinary project teams (internal or external), including managing the scope, schedule and cost of assigned Work Packages.
• Delivering presentations related to cost estimates to various levels of management.
• Maintaining good relationships with other groups (cross-organizational, cross-function/business unit) involved in the delivery of projects, including other departments, consultants, contractors and suppliers.
• Maintaining knowledge of modern engineering techniques and processes, construction methodology, and keeping up to date with construction cost trends and other factors that affect project costs.
• Being the Professional of Record for engineering documents produced
• Occasional travel to BC Hydro facilities located throughout British Columbia.
Qualifications and Experience:
The successful candidate must have:
• Degree in Electrical or Civil Engineering (preference will be given to Electrical candidates) recognized by Engineers and Geoscientists of BC (EGBC).
• Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or eligible for registration with EGBC.
• A minimum of 4 years of combined experience in estimating, design, or construction of industrial or infrastructure type projects, preferably on substation or transmission line projects. At least 2 years of direct cost estimating experience (preferably in substations and transmission lines) is required.
• Experience in estimating costs and developing schedules for utilities, heavy industrial or infrastructure projects.
• Good leadership, teamwork, technical writing, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
• A valid class 5 driver's license.
• High level of independence.
• Ability to maintain influential relationships within your team (downward mentoring), and with other groups (cross-function/business unit) in order to deliver on your work.
• Initiative and good judgment to develop innovative estimating and planning techniques and apply practical knowledge in the analysis and resolution of problems.
• High adaptability to changing work environments, work priorities, organization needs and principles.
• High proficiency with MS Office (including advanced knowledge of MS Word, Excel & and Powerpoint), Adobe Acrobat Professional, Primavera P6, @Risk. Experience using specialized estimating software is an asset
• Have strong written and verbal communication skills
• Have excellent presentation skills at all levels
Preference given to those candidates that possess experience and working knowledge with the following:
• Experience and knowledge in capital planning.
• Experience preparing substation conceptual layouts based on high level scope and single-line diagrams
• Experience in other substation engineering disciplines (Protection & Control, SCADA/Telecom)
• Experience in transmission lines (69kV to 500kV) design and construction
• Experience in Primavera P6 and specialist estimating software ( @RISK or equivalent).
• Experience in preparing owner's estimates including engineering, construction management, and scheduling.
• Field experience on large construction projects.