23-012 - Program/Portfolio Manager
Number of Vacancies: 1
Hours: 35 hours per week
Level: Band F
Duration: 2 year
Location: 700 University Ave, Toronto
The Portfolio / Program Manager is accountable for directing and integrating the activities of multiple, primary project operations. They ensure that the project's efforts are generally cohesive, consistent, and effective in supporting the mission, goals, and strategic plan of an organization. Moreover, the Portfolio / Program Manager establishes policies, strategies, and operating objectives consistent strong project management methodologies within the existing Information Technology Project Management Office framework. These strategies will ensure the efficient and effective implementation of major cross-organizational projects. The role will participate and supervise the development, performance, and maintenance of individual project objectives and short and long-range plans via standard project management tools.
Additionally, this role develops, tracks, and evaluates programs to help accomplish established project goals and objectives critical to delivering business outcomes. The role will also manage and administer a large and diverse team of professional/technical professional and support staff, both directly and through project managers to effectively complete program level resource plans.
Moreover, the portfolio / program manager will also establish and manage complex, multi-faceted budgets that involve large scale vendors contracts. It will also be important for this role to collaborate with direct and indirect reports to identify where management and technical reinforcement is needed, and the appropriate corrective actions are implemented. The role must oversee the development and implementation of training, communications, testing and change management plans to ensure the successful execution of project deliverables required for successful turnover to the various business units. This will require a diverse set of skills and innovative solutions to meet time sensitive schedules in a complex large multi-site organization.
- Experience in running large/multiple portfolios, and teams of project managers
- Ability to manage a portfolio of projects that span across various applications and integrations, departments, and sites • Work with internal business partners in corporate services, Finance, human resources, IT, PMO to clearly define and drive project scope, benefits, timeline, change management
- Oversee project delivery process with key contributors to help manage scope and prepare change requests - including tasks, deliverables, milestones, resources, and estimated costs
- Responsible for approval of all phases of the projects by implementing the Project Life-cycle Methodology, review and approval of the individual program and project charters requirements, scope, schedule, presented by outsourced partners
- Review financial and status reports and adjust the portfolio plan when necessary
- Ensure that internal client issues are addressed to meet the client's business goals, compliance with corporate and department policies, standards, and practices
- Conduct periodic review of proposed projects to determine duplicate of effort, the ability to consolidate projects to achieve similar goals/objectives, and to validate continued need against evolving mission objectives and vision
- Establish a formal procedure to accept and review submitted changes for in-flight projects
- Provides strategic leadership and technical, operational, financial, and managerial leadership for successful implementation of project activities.
- Ensures that the program is technically sound, evidence-based, and consistent with funder and stakeholders' priorities.
- Provides oversight of program implementation including all activities, outputs, and outcomes related to project management and administration, including reporting, budget development and monitoring, financial transactions, execution of project plans, and project performance.
- Oversees the selection and training of qualified program staff, assigning clear roles and responsibilities, providing effective supervision, and managing performance to ensure efficient operations.
- Ensures the project produces the specified results in the annual workplan(s) to the required standard of quality and within the timeline and budget parameters.
- Oversees budget pipeline development and budget monitoring.
- Conducts monthly/weekly reviews to ensure accountability of all project activities as well as the accurate and timely reporting of financial deliverables and obligations.
- Ensures that the project progresses in accordance with its contractual obligations and complies with donor regulations and internal organizational policies.
Portfolio / Program Manager need to have excellent skills and knowledge to execute these duties effectively include:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Attentive to details
- Strong financial acumen
- Knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware, and software
- Strong Leadership and business management skills
- Good budgeting skills and the ability to reduce cost without making an adjustment that affects the quality
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to act as change agents and instill confidence to embrace change as well
- Results-driven and detail-oriented
- Proven experience in a leadership role is required
- A degree in a relevant field from an accredited university with at least 7 years of experience in a leadership position managing a program required
- A least 5 years' experience managing, designing, implementing, and evaluating multi-million dollars, multisite projects.
- Strong preference for candidates with expertise/experience in ERP systems and/or custom software
- Demonstrated diplomatic, management, and communication skills to liaise and advocate with internal stakeholders, government agencies, external vendors, and other key stakeholders
- Proven ability to write technical reports and program documents, and deliver presentations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and the ability to communicate cross-culturally
- Experience in business requirements gathering and project management is required
- Knowledge of statistics, financial processes, IT and Human Resources processes is highly desirable
- Experience organizing and managing $10+ million programs/projects
- Experience managing several large, high-profile projects concurrently
- Takes initiative and provides leadership in solving problems, improving processes, providing a better IT experience for the business