Construction Technologist (BC Hydro)
Location: Vancouver Island (Nainamo)
Estimated Work Start Date: 13-Feb-2023
Estimated Work End Date: 13-Feb-2024 (Possibility of extension for the right candidate)
Rate: $83/ hour
- Performs a variety of duties related to planning, estimating, scheduling and field coordination activities to construction activities.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
- Prepares detailed cost estimates by considering engineering specifications and contract conditions; research, analyzes and recommends best methods and procedures to minimize labour and equipment requirements, associated costs and/or scheduling impacts; revises estimates and schedules.
- Prepares quantity takeoffs for a wide range of materials and components; prepares quantity and costs calculations on the direct costs of material and components by using either established unit cost and productivity rate information or estimating from base information; assesses risk situations and allows for in estimating process and pricing of work.
- Applies established markups to direct cost components to ensure recovery of full overhead expense.
- Prepares work schedules and coordinates activities on assigned projects. May be required to design drawings including drafting and perform survey of sites. Also may operate various electrical testing equipment in order to prepare a variety of detailed technical reports; maintains project progress data such as graphs, charts, etc.; advises managers when discrepancies or changes to work plan are required.
- Compiles the schedule of pay items for estimates, bid submissions and sub-contract tender documents as required; compiles comparative summaries of quantity and cost calculations from contractors' submissions for use in bid analysis; verifies quantity calculations made by others to ensure accuracy of information.
- Obtains technical information and costs for material and equipment from suppliers; reviews drawings, specifications and material lists; prepares documentation for procurement of construction materials, equipment and subcontracts.
- Maintains up to date records of equipment costs; production rates and materials costs related to construction projects.
- Reviews Cost/Progress Reports to compare projected costs with estimated costs; determines effects of scheduling changes on project costs.
- Provides technical advice and coordination to field crews and a variety of other internal and external resources relating to construction project activities; participates as a member of construction project teams, as required.
- Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties that do not affect the rating of the job.
- Excellent knowledge of either Civil, Mechanical or Electrical discipline with a working knowledge of at least one of the other disciplines.
- Excellent knowledge of all related standards and codes related to the applicable discipline.
- Excellent construction knowledge of generation, substation and transmission & distribution facilities and all their interrelated equipment.
- Ability to provide technical direction and work coordination to construction trades.
- Good working knowledge of project management principles.
- Good knowledge of accounting processes and ability to discuss and explain financial aspects of projects with technical staff.
- Ability to assist in the preparation of contracts and requisitions for proposals.
- Excellent computer applications skills for a variety of systems related to design, construction project estimating, scheduling & costing and project management functions.
- Basic drafting and design skills.
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to assess job cost and schedule reports and recommend action as required.
- Excellent construction estimating and scheduling skills.
- Project team leadership / participation skills.
- Good interpersonal and written communications skills.
- Good negotiation skills.
- Ability to read and prepare non-routine technical reports.
- Ability to drive a motor vehicle
Education and Skills
- Diploma of Technology from an institute of technology or Degree in a construction related field such as Engineering, Forestry, Architecture, Project Management, Construction Management, Business Administration or Quantity Surveying; or a related trades qualification (such as Electrician, Winder, Power Line Technician, General Trades 1 or Millwright).
- Five (5) years of experience in construction and/or project management.
- Must hold a valid class five (5) driver's license
Preference will be given to individuals with civil experience and background/education