Role: Nuclear Criticality Safety Program Officer
Salary Range: Up to $124,400/annum
Synopsis of Role: The Nuclear Criticality Safety Program at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories provides the expert leadership, direction, and technical infrastructure necessary to ensure that operations involving fissionable material are performed safely, and in compliance with the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission regulations for Nuclear Criticality Safety. Members of our team possess an equal balance of the technical skills necessary to perform criticality safety analyses, and the interpersonal skills necessary to develop strong, positive relationships with operations staff, and to work collaboratively with the team to solve complex problems.
Minimum, a Bachelors (Honour) in Engineering, Physics or Science from a university of recognized standing.
Experience: Technical experience in Nuclear Criticality Safety would be considered an asset.
Experience in the nuclear industry (particularly in a compliance-related environment) would be considered an asset.
Abilities and Skills:
- Ability to work effectively in a highly regulated environment
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional written communication skills (technical writing is a significant component of this position).
- Ability to develop and maintain specialized scientific knowledge of nuclear criticality safety including nuclear data and related libraries, processes and procedures.
- Ability to plan and prioritize tasks to ensure deliverables are met on schedule and to work both
- independently and in a team environment.
Job/Industry Specific Knowledge:
- Proficient use of software such as MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint.
Proficient in the use of software such as MCNP and SCALE.
Nuclear-related experience would be considered an asset.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Keep up-to-date with changes in Nuclear Criticality Safety regulatory requirements and maintain expertise in the requirements for implementing Nuclear Criticality Safety regulations at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories.
- Interface with Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission staff.
- Review both regulatory and technical documentation related to Nuclear Criticality Safety.
- Support the development and maintenance of Nuclear Criticality Safety Program documentation.
- Deliver Nuclear Criticality Safety training to operations staff.
- Interact with customers to provide oversight and expert regulatory and technical guidance and support (including existing operations, decommissioning and waste management projects, input to the design of new facilities, and emergency preparedness).
- Develop concise and unambiguous material limits and operational rules based on the supporting criticality safety analysis.
- Developing clear, logical, and well-written documentation of the nuclear criticality safety case.
- Support the development and execution of reviews and assessments of the Nuclear Criticality Safety Program.
- Establish plans to meet prescribed objectives and carry out activities in accordance with the established plans.
Develop and author documentation demonstrating that operations involving fissionable material will remain
subcritical under all normal and credible abnormal conditions.
Interacting with the customer to ensure that the operations are well-understood.
Interacting with other service providers required to develop the nuclear criticality safety case.
Performing rigorous technical analysis demonstrating that all normal and credible abnormal conditions will
be subcritical. This may include modelling operational activities and experiments using verified and
validated computer codes (such as SCALE or MCNP) and performing post-processing and analysis of the results.