Contract Role: September 2023 - September 2024 - maternity leave coverage
Rate: Up to $98/Incorporated + HST
Experience and Role Accountabilities
• A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
• Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
• Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
• Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
• Participate in BC Hydro’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
• Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm’s, Permit to Practice with EGBC.
• EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this assignment shall work under BC Hydro’s Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm’s Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws. Education and Skills Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
• BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
•Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken •Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
•Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
•Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
• All the required Experience and Role Accountabilities shall relate to Overhead - and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages at or below 35kV (primarily at or below 25kV).
• Monitor and evaluate distribution system performance, identify needs, and initiate appropriate corrective measures to manage risk and meet system performance objectives.
• Conduct and analyze technical and economic planning studies in Distribution which will identify short and long-term Distribution system requirements to reliably and efficiently supply domestic load. Issue short and long-term distribution system load forecast.
• Effectively manage distribution system performance requirements and associated risks and balance with appropriate investment.
• Develop automation and protection schemes to optimize distribution system performance, minimize system losses, maximize reliability, and facilitate interconnection of DER.
• Develop and defend system improvement and expansion requirements and secure financial support for implementation.
• Develop short and long-term asset management strategies to advance distribution system performance, reliability, efficiency, and operability.
• Investigate, analyze and solve a variety of engineering problems, including the more challenging and unusual, by developing engineering techniques, devising new approaches and/or applying existing criteria in new ways.
• Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to seek collaborative solutions to meet system and stakeholder objectives
• Develop documentation and/or responses to defend distribution system decisions in regulatory submissions.
• Apply procedures and policies as required to effectively plan the distribution system.
Additional Education and Skills
• Degree in Electrical Engineering recognized by universities in Canada, Power Engineering, preferred
• Demonstrated experience and technical knowledge in both Overhead - and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages at or below 25kV, including system planning and operation, automation planning and operation, project implementation, load forecasting, strategy development, and asset management
• Demonstrated ability to perform system analysis and develop and defend business cases for project justification
• Demonstrated ability to develop responses to regulatory related matters
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment and with internal and external stakeholders
• Knowledge of various BC Hydro systems, policies and procedures, preferred
• English proficiency with well-developed technical writing and presentation skills; excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills; and must be self-motivated
• Proficiency in the use of CYME, EMTP and other relevant Power Engineering software
• Maintain good standing in Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia (EGBC) throughout the term of the contract.
• Maintain Driver's License Class 5 throughout the term of the contract
This assignment is to provide Regional Distribution Planning coverage in the Lower Mainland. Work for this assignment will include:
• Developing work scope for major customer connection requests.
• Writing business bases for system improvement project investments
• Developing and maintaining feeder load forecasts and feeder plans
• Developing long term distribution plans for several high growth areas