Duration: 12 months
Rate: Up to $98/INC
Experience and Role Accountabilities
• A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
• Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
• Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
• Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
• Participate in BC Hydro’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro. Important notes:
• Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm’s, Permit to Practice with EGBC.
• EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this assignment shall work under BC Hydro’s Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm’s Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws.
Education and Skills
Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
• BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
•Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken •Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
•Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
•Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
High level requirement and scope:
Electrical, P&C or both design experience including but not limited to:
- Equipment layout design
- Wiring and schematic design
- Equipment sizing, cable type and size selection
- Working with drafters, designers, and POR
- Familiar with BCH engineering and drafting standards (an asset)
Typical work for the security engineer:
- Security design, including equipment type, layout, wiring and schematic
- Inspection and Test Plan (ITP) design
- Perform testing and commissioning at site
- Provide support on standard update