Telecom Design Engineer -18251
Location: Burnaby, BC (Hybrid- 3 days in office)
Estimated Work Start Date: 01-Mar-2023
Estimated Work End Date: 28-Feb-2025
- The E4 – Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities:
- A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
- Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
- Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
- Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
- Participate in BC Hydro’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
- Prepare signed and sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro design practices.
- Provide design documents and inputs as required by BC Hydro Mandatory Reliability Standards (MRS) requirements.
- Coordinate the completion of design deliverables of a multi-discipline or cross-functional team; create and manage the work package schedule and provide progress reports and work forecasts; identify dependencies with other projects and lead concurrent project team discussions to resolve potential conflicts.
- Lead design team in the delivery of telecom solutions.
- May manage design work packages.
- Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field and undertakes field reviews as required by EGBC.
- Provide guidance and instructions, advice and technical guidance to other engineers and technical support staff.
- Conduct peer reviews of other designers to ensure accuracy, achievement of required results, and adherence to accepted engineering practices.
- Resolve site queries, attending site meetings and performing site inspections during the construction phase of projects.
- Maintain complete project documentation with respect to the design and construction, including all completion packages, records, and requirements.
- Maintain appropriate commitments to project teams, and coordinates design activities with multi-disciplined project team members.
- Fulfill functional role of Project Engineer as assigned, and coordinates design activities with multi-disciplined project team.
- Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm’s, Permit to Practice with EGBC.
- EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this assignment shall work under BC Hydro’s Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm’s Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws.
Education and Skills:
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
- BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
- Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
- Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
- Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
- Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Must have excellent leadership, communications (verbal and written), technical writing, interpersonal, and presentation skills are required.
- Must have good understanding of project and task management processes.
- Must have prior experience with IP/MPLS, DACS, SONET, Microwave, Site Selections, antennas and tower, grounding, and other telecom technologies.
- Must have excellent organizational and management skills.
- Experience in electrical utility Telecom field an asset
The successful applicant will report to a Telecom Engineering Team Lead and work with Design Leads or lead a design team.