23-011 - Project Director
Number of Vacancies: 1
Hours: 35 hours per week
Level: Band F
Duration: 2 year
Location: 700 University Ave, Toronto
The Project Director will provide strategic, managerial, technical leadership and management oversight to the program manager and to the project. S/he will oversee all aspects of project implementation, including program quality, personnel, and financial management. S/he will maintain close coordination with the various aspects of the project and other stakeholders, ensuring that all project interventions and work streams are of high quality and lead to measurable impact. S/he will be responsible for timely and adequate implementation of project activities, deliverables and execution, monitoring, and reporting of the project and integrated work streams to provide overall oversight.
Additionally, this role will provide integrated direction, management, and leadership in the administrative and business planning, budgeting, and project governance over multiple, strategic core functions and components across the project work streams.
This role will also be charged with developing innovative approaches to management and coordinate with partners, executives, and internal and external stakeholders. This role will be required to supervise diverse teams across various work streams and business areas while overseeing project delivery.
- Directs and integrates the activities of multiple, major project operations; ensures that project efforts are generally cohesive, consistent, and effective in supporting the Ontario Power Generation's mission, goals, and strategic plan
- Develops and establishes policies, strategies, and operating objectives consistent with those of the organization to ensure efficient and effective implementation of major change project across the various departments, sites, and stakeholders.
- Participates in and oversees the development, implementation, and maintenance of individual project objectives and short- and long-range plans; develops tracking and evaluation programs to assist in the accomplishment of established project goals and objectives.
- Manages and administers a large, diverse team of professional/technical and support staff, both directly and through lower-level managers and supervisors.
- Manages the working relationships between project leadership, administration, principle business and operational stakeholders, and high-level external partners.
- Consults, coordinates, and serves as principal liaison with senior Ontario Power Generation officials on various project related items.
- Facilitates various stakeholders requirements to establish and maintain programmatic goals and priorities for business and technology solutions to meet project goals.
- Develops, administers, and manages complex, multi-faceted budgets and business plans for component units, as it relates to project development and deployment at an institutional level; performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Providing leadership to project teams that include architects, engineers, contractors, and other experts
- Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to the Ontario Power Generation's strategic directions and plans, and relevant state-of-the-art systems and technology.
- Overseeing the development of a project from start to finish, including planning and scheduling tasks, managing resources and costs, hiring subcontractors as needed, and ensuring that all parties involved in the project meet their responsibilities
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Project Management Body of Knowledge.
- Knowledge of Ontario Power Generation business practices and procedures.
- Ability to analyze complex problems, interpret operational needs, and develop integrated, creative solutions.
- Knowledge of current developments and trends in Ontario Power Generation best practices, project management, and related technology.
- Skill in business and financial planning and management.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present effectively to small and large groups.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully direct, coordinate, and strategically integrate multiple developmental, enhancement, and/or modification projects at an institutional level.
- Ability to effectively manage a large, diverse team of technical managerial/supervisory, professional, and support staff.
- Knowledge and understanding of organization structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement short- and long-range systems, capacity, technology, and operational plans.
Job Requirements / Qualifications
- Secondary degree in a relevant field from an accredited university
- 5+ years of experience in a leadership position managing a program required
- 7+ years' experience managing, designing, implementing, and evaluating multi-million dollars, multisite projects.
- Strong preference for candidates with expertise/experience in ERP systems and/or custom software
- Demonstrated diplomatic, management, and communication skills to liaise and advocate with internal stakeholders, government agencies, external vendors, and other key stakeholders
- Proven ability to write technical reports and program documents and deliver presentations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and the ability to communicate cross-culturally
- Experience in business requirements gathering and project management is required
- Knowledge of statistics, Finance, Information Technology and Human Resources processes is highly desirable
- Experience organizing and managing $10+ million programs/projects
- Experience managing several large, high-profile projects concurrently
- Takes initiative and provides leadership in solving problems, improving processes, providing a better IT experience for the business
- Budget tracking and financial forecasting