Senior Civil Engineer (Generation-Stations)
Location: British Columbia (Site work in mandatory for this position)
Estimated Work Start Date: 14-Feb-2023
Estimated Work End Date: 14-Feb-2024
- The E4 – Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
- A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
- Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
- Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
- Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
- Participate in BC Hydro’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
- Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm’s, Permit to Practice with EGBC.
- EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this assignment shall work under BC Hydro’s Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm’s Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws.
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities:
- This position is needed to help with an increasing Civil structural work load in capital projects, OMA work programs and Owners Engineer review work.
- Experience in civil/structural design preferably in concrete and steel structures.
- Experience with hydraulic structures, (Dams, spillways, intakes, penstocks, powerhouse structures), bridges, field experience, as well as owner's engineering experience would be an asset.
- Experience in seismic design and dynamic analysis and proficiency in SAP2000 and/or LS Dyna would be an asset.
- To provide engineering services to carry out civil/structural projects within the BC Hydro Generation Civil Design Structural group.
- Interact with project initiator/ requestor / operations personnel to establish and prepare user requirements.
- Establish design criteria for the project and preparing working design basis.
- Prepare design plan/proposals/Work Package Agreements in conjunction with other design disciplines to carry out work.
- Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with BC Hydro project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
- Maintain close communication with project initiator/requestor, operations personnel, and project team throughout the project.
- Manage Work Packages
- Gather background information (drawings, reports, etc.)
- Plan and carry out field investigations
- Carry out calculations/analysis/design work and prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro Design Practices.
- Prepare drawings and specifications for tender and construction
- Carry out site visits to inspect the work during construction to provide technical assistance and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
- Prepare Record drawings upon completion of construction
- Lead less experienced Engineers and Drafters in completing the work items described above.
- Prepare terms of reference for consultants to perform work.
- Interact with procurement personnel to engage a consultant.
- Review work produced by consultants and ensuring the work conforms to BC Hydro standards and meets the user requirements.
- Administer contracts with consultants.
Education and Skills
Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
- BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
- Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
- Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
- Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
- Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
*Consultant will need to travel to different BCH sites across BC. Most travel will be by car, some flying as well (travel covered by BCH). 14:7 shift most common when traveling to site - but will be up to the construction manager at each site. Strong preference for candidates already located in BC. Site work is mandatory for this position.