22-023 - Electrical Senior Technical Engineer
Number of Vacancies: 1
Duration: 1 year
Location: Western Site (177 Tie Rd., Tiverton) or 889 Brock Rd. Pickering (travel to Western Site between one to three times a month) Please indicate in the subject line the candidate location preference.
- Provide technical evaluations and advice, solve problems and coordinate technical work as required, in a number of major work areas, in support of the commissioning, operation and maintenance of the facilities.
- Receive assignments from Supervisor as well as identify potential problems and opportunities in assigned areas and/or systems in the facility.
- Assess, evaluate and recommend initial disposition of the problems as requiring (1) further review and investigations, (2) abandonment of the problem as being the best alternative. Receive approval and discuss proposed solution, as required with other personnel; such as, section heads, shift supervisors, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) and Head Office specialists, designers in Ontario Power Generation (OPG) or external to the Corporation.
- Prepare submission including cost justification or financial evaluation as appropriate; recommend adoption of the proposal and steps required to incorporate it. Submit these for approval or forwarding if necessary. Prepare as required and on receipt of authorization, detailed documentation of the proposal, such as equipment specifications, engineering calculations, installation, testing, operating and maintenance procedures and the like.
- Submit necessary documentation covering complete proposal for forwarding to responsible bodies for cost and installation approval if necessary. This includes Ontario Power Generation, AECL, Ministry of Consumer and Corporate Relations, Atomic Energy Control Board (AECB), International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) or other external organizations.
- Discuss installation or implementation with persons concerned and ensure, where possible, that the installation is as was intended. Instruct staff as necessary through lecture, field training, operating procedure and the like.
- Keep abreast of maintenance and operating problems and take action to implement change as appropriate.
- Cooperate with other departments and organizations such as Canadian General Electric (CGE), Babcock & Wilcox Canada Limited (B&W), AECL, OPG Technology (OPGT) and others in arranging for tests and providing appropriate documentation as required. Keep abreast of new developments in the field for use in incorporating same in department equipment or operation.
- Maintain and/or update operating and other specified department/divisional procedures. Receive assignments relating to procedures from Supervisor or identify potential problems and opportunities. Discuss these with operating personnel or others as required to ensure current practices are recognized in the procedure. Prepare new or revised procedures consistent with operating licenses, policies, principles, department standard practices, standing instructions, maximum safety of operation, minimal risk of damage or loss, optimum frequency of routines; efficient operation and the like. Submit for review and approval.
- Prepare reports to provide information and data in answer to external requests or for historical purposes. Initiate studies or investigations where opportunities for improvement are apparent. In some instances, these opportunities may be identified by the Supervisor. Collect, or arrange for collection, and analyze data from past events or operations. Prepare reports, for distribution to various groups, outlining technical details of procedures, processes, results or conclusions and the roles played by various groups; such as, Ontario Power Generation, AECL, or other external organizations. The foregoing may include delivery of presentations. Provide explanations and answers to questions received from recipients of reports.
- Review proposals received from internal or external sources related to assigned area. Discuss proposal with originator as necessary to suggest changes or revisions as appropriate. Recommend disposition of proposal to Supervisor in writing for review and forwarding to approval authority.
- Prepare or help prepare specifications, for purchasing requisitions for material, services and equipment. Follow up with procurement and provide necessary technical services during field installation. Prepare recommendations for spare parts requirements for new equipment.
- Recommend research and development programs required to improve equipment, system or unit reliability or performance, chemical control, material performance, rates and the like. Follow up on such research and development work and help coordinate as required. Provide all necessary information and assistance to facilitate such programs.
- May be required to gather and collate data for use in department budget preparation and to monitor variances to annual budget and submit to Supervisor for reporting purposes.
- On a periodic basis, supervise staff involved in the above activities by assigning and checking work and as required give instructions and direction.
- Requires a knowledge of physics, chemistry, metallurgy, mathematics, electricity, engineering and economics to technically understand the operation of the facility. Requires advanced knowledge of one or more of these subjects to evaluate and propose improvements to processes, equipment and systems or to unit safety, reliability and performance.
- Requires a knowledge of English in order to prepare clear and concise reports and recommendations both verbally and in writing.
- Requires training and experience in the design, development or operation of a nuclear facility or in the development, manufacture or production of nuclear materials or components or in an industrial environment associated with the design, development, operation or maintenance of industrial systems and equipment.
- Requires experience to solve problems, to provide advice and guidance, to initiate developmental studies and to make recommendations during the design, commissioning and operation of a nuclear facility; to evaluate components or materials, and to perform economic studies and evaluations associated with the design, commissioning and operation of a nuclear facility.
- Requires further experience in the position to become familiar with the work and fully competent.
- A period of over 6 years and up to and including 8 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- Required to hold the OPG DE qualification 33685.
- Holds an Electrical Engineering Degree.