24-017 Project & Controls Engineer
Resume Due Date: Friday, January 26th, 2024 (5:00PM EST)
Number of Vacancies: 2
Hourly Rate: $65 - 75/hour
Duration: 24 months
Hours of work: 35
Location: Darlington, Refurb Project Officer (RPO) 100% onsite
The Projects Controls Engineer/Officer is responsible for the implementation of the project controls system for the Projects and Modifications and Project Services Organization.
- Front End Planning (FEP) Project team member responsible for coordinating, facilitating and driving the Front-End Planning processes. FEP Subject Matter Expert (SME) Provide recommendation on execution of Value Engineering and Project Definition rating index (PDRI) workshops and initiate if required. Initiate and facilitate Risk Profiling, Project Breakdown Structure development. Review and provide input into project scoping and Basis of Estimates. Initiate and co-ordinate scoping, and risk workshops. Prepare Risk Management plan with support from other project team members. Initiate external estimating contracts as required. Obtain internal estimates from resource providers. With support of project team members develop integrated, logically tied, resource loaded project schedules (Primavera and MS Project) which incorporate identified scope, risks, estimates/budgets and constraints to the individual task level for field execution. With support of project team members, establish project budgets, contingency and milestones. Preparation of Project Execution Plan Obtain concurrence on project plan from applicable stakeholders (eg. Engineering, Design, CMO etc). Support and author Business Case Summary development. Ensure detail, accuracy and quality is adequate to allow monitoring and control of project to ensure successful completion of cost, schedule and scope commitments.
- Project Monitoring & Control Develop and maintain updated and accurate conceptual phase schedule. Load approved project plan into applicable project control systems (eg AS7, Proliance, Prosight, etc). Set up applicable source systems (eg Tempus, SAP, Oncore, etc) as required and ensure alignment with project control systems. Maintain alignment between source systems and project control systems throughout project life cycle. Perform weekly schedule updates. Perform weekly cost and schedule analysis. Update schedule and cost forecasts accordingly. Facilitate project metrics reporting and variance analysis. Identify actual and potential deviations from the approved annual, release or life cycle budgets or schedules to the Project Manager. Recommend corrective actions. With support of project team members, monitor project risks against Risk Management Plan, maintain Risk Register and update as required. Recommend corrective actions. Provide Project team with specific project information as required.
- Change Management Ensure approved change control processes are followed. Prepare and obtain approval of applicable change control documentation. Timely update of project cost and schedule once change approval or direction has been approved. Perform “What if” analysis for project team. Maintain project baseline integrity. Ensure all baseline changes are documented, appropriately approved and auditable. Maintain accurate historical project performance throughout change control process.
- Cost & Schedule Quality Maintain the project schedule such that it accurately reflects the current project plan, including field execution. Reconciliation of financial systems and project controls system. Remediate any discrepancies and maintain alignment. Ensure accurate project cost forecasting. Ensure accurate schedule updating/statusing. Maintain project schedule quality and accuracy. Critical path, float, predecessor and successor tasks identified, activities logically tied, minimal restraints etc. Monitor/verify standard project reports for accuracy.
- Interface with Cross Functional Groups Interface with all stakeholders to ensure project plans are accurately updated and maintained. Interface with Finance to ensure financial systems reflect project plan and are aligned with project controls system. Interface with station work control for execution of field work. Obtaining cost and schedule commitments from applicable resource providers (eg. CMO, Design , FE). Obtaining cost and schedule status and forecasts from resource providers.
- Business Planning Set up and maintain project control budgets. Annual business plan and control budget development and analysis
- Purchase Order Analysis & Reporting Ensure applicable source systems are set up correctly to maintain alignment between costs and assigned budgets in project plan. Populate project control systems to accurately capture and allow monitoring of costs. Monitor contractor cost and schedule performance against project plan and identify actual or potential discrepancies to Project Manager. Recommend corrective actions. Monitor project PO’s (actuals, forecasts, payment status, accruals) and identify actual or potential issues to Project Manger. Recommend corrective actions. Liaise with Contractors’ project controls function to obtain project control information.
- Closeout Phase Facilitate and support project financial close out process. Final reconciliation and finalize/close out project controls and source systems (AS7, Oncore, SAP, etc).
- Miscellaneous Assist with continuous improvement of PMO processes and procedures. Assist in the development and continuous improvement of the project controls information system. Maintain document project file which provides an auditable trail throughout the project lifecycle including project approvals (ie BCS &PEP), change control (ie PCRAF, SSBCS, Baseline Change forms) and close out.
- Requires knowledge of engineering/science encompassing subject area relevant to the project planning, scheduling, risk management, and control service needs of the division. Requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, including relevant business and computer applications knowledge, to develop and maintain computerized project information, costs and forecasts. This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through the successful completion of a four-year university education in an appropriate field such as Business, Finance or Engineering, or by having the equivalent level of education.
- Requires experience to become familiar with project controls principles, theories, and concepts such as project scoping, risk management, estimating, budgeting and scheduling.
- Requires experience of project management within a Nuclear, Hydroelectric or Thermal generating facility within a project management support capacity.
- Requires experience to become familiar with engineering and construction management concepts, methods and techniques.
- Requires experience to become familiar with the development and operation of various computerized systems and databases, including business unit financial and work management systems.
- Requires experience to become familiar with corporate financial processes.
- Requires experience to become familiar with departmental and divisional interfaces with other areas of the Corporation.
- A period of over 6 years and up to and including 8 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.