Director, Total Rewards
Reporting to the General Manager, Human Resources
Location: Chalk River, ON
Must be eligible for Site Access Security clearance (five years traceable history).
The Director, Total Rewards reports to the General Manager of Human Resources. As a key member of the Human Resources team, the role is responsible for overall Total Rewards and compensation strategy, including the development and execution of all related functions and programs. The incumbent will act as a diverse team leader and change champion and lead the team through transition and process enhancements to keep pace in a fast-changing environment. With a small team the Director, Total Rewards will be accountable for total rewards strategy, benefits, pensions, compensation, merit incentive plan, career framework design and job levelling and evaluations, short term and long term disability. The role is also responsible for external reporting requirements around compensation, pension and benefits, and working with all levels within the organization to ensure effective support in all matters related to compensation & benefits practices and policies.
- Strategically create, deliver, enhance and administer Total Rewards programs in alignment with the business needs, including salaried and hourly compensation, compensation design, incentive plans, group benefit plans and group retirement pension programs.
- Manage benefits programs both flex and traditional plans, including Employee Assistance Program, third party Disability Management program, and the development of applicable guidelines.
- For health and group insurance plans, lead annual review, renewal and annual enrollment processes in close collaboration with internal colleagues.
- Ensure regulatory compliance and management of legislative changes impacting the total rewards portfolio and processes, including planning for future/anticipated changes.
- Manage partners including internal key stakeholders and external service providers.
- Responsible for data management and reporting for benefits including cost controlling of the allocated budget for the benefits programs.
- Identification, definition and application of industry best practices as part of continuous business improvement.
- Drive annual compensation benchmarking, salary planning, incentive administration, and other compensation programs and processes both with the Board and with staff.
- Continually assess and recommend total rewards program enhancements or changes to management and the Board by studying employee requirements, industry trends, and understanding the business needs and direction.
- Support the Labour Relations team contract negotiation with scenario analysis and costing estimates that allow for adequate preparation and approval of the bargaining mandate, and informed decisions on union proposals as they arise during bargaining.
- Prepare and execute the annual merit and incentive process, including the calculation of the incentive plan bonuses, preparation of letters and bonus documents.
- Revise, communicate and administer pension and compensation programs effective across all levels of the organization.
- Participate and lead compensation reviews, discussions and programs with key leaders.
- Complete annual & ad hoc compensation & benefits surveys, and provide ad hoc review, analysis of programs and reports.
- Support the performance management process with respect to the merit process.
- Build and promote a safe and healthy, respectful workplace.
- Transparent and fair in all transitions, including staffing and day-to-day activities.
- Provide regular feedback, acknowledge success and the need for improvement.
- Coach, challenge, and provides opportunities with staff and programming.
- Ensures HR initiatives and projects are appropriately prioritised.
- Contribute to the development of HR policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: MUST HAVES
- University degree in a discipline relevant to the role and 10+ years of progressive experience managing compensation programs, benefits (especially insurable benefits), compensation programs and pensions in Canada.
- Extensive knowledge of Total Rewards strategy and program design and execution including health and wellness, benefits, retirement, pensions, merit, incentive plans, compensation design, and absence management.
- Familiar with the benefits-related legal framework and labor market practices in Canada including knowledge of regulatory environment that govern and impact total rewards programs for Federally Regulated employers.
- Experience with and knowledge of both current and planned external reporting requirements for compensation reporting and pension governance and oversight.