Distribution Electrical Engineer
Location: Victoria, BC
* The E4 - Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time. Experience and Role Accountabilities
* A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
* Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
* Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
* Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
* Participate in BC Hydro's engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
* Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time. Education and Skills
* Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
* BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
* Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
* Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
* Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
* Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
* All the required Experience and Role Accountabilities shall relate to Overhead - and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages at or below 35kV.
* Support operations, maintenance, repair, replacement and expansion of the BC Hydro Distribution System.
* Investigate, analyze and solve a variety of engineering problems, including the more challenging and unusual, by developing engineering techniques, devising new approaches and/or applying existing criteria in new ways
* Provide technical guidance, instruction, and assistance related to the operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and modifications of equipment Additional Education and Skills
* Degree in Electrical Engineering recognized by universities in Canada, Power Engineering preferred
* Demonstrated experience and technical knowledge in both Overhead - and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages at or below 35kV including automation
* Broad range of distribution related skills including planning, system engineering, protection engineering, design, and project management
* Demonstrated ability to perform system analysis
* Knowledge of various BC Hydro systems, policies and procedures, preferred
* Willingness to travel
* Maintain good standing in Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia (EGBC) throughout the term of the contract
* Maintain Driver's License Class 5 throughout the term of the contract
Work Assignment Requirements:
Use CYME engineering software to analyse exsiting and future Distribution Circuits. Conduct Load Flow analysis - circuit capacity - load connection reviews, voltage profile and low voltage mitigation, phase balancing and conductor size upgrades. Conduct fault current analyisis and protection coordination studies. Determine fuse sizes for branch lines, determine recloser, switch gear, capacitor bank and voltage regulator settings to ensure a reliable and safe system.
Conduct thermal studies of cables in ducts and provide appropirate derating of feeder cables using CYME CAP software.
Use SPIDAcalc non-linear pole line analysis tool to evaluate pole line design and create non-standard OH Line design solutions. Note: experience with PLS Pole and PLS CAD non-linear pole line design would be an asset.
Provide technical support to BCH Design Technicians and Technologist in customer connection and system improvement requests - fulfill POR responsibilities for any non-standard/engineered solutions.
Review Customer Electrical Consulting Engineer submissions to determine if they have met BCH requirements, including protection coordination, switch gear design, single line diagram, grounding, surge arrestors or requests for variance from standards.
Provide technical expertise to support the capital infrastructure renewal and expansion programs. Act as Owners' Engineer to review and provide feedback on designs created by BCH external consultants for adherance to BCH standards and system impact.
Work with the Planning Engineering, Project Delivery, Design, Standards, Customer Consultants, Field Operations (Operations Centre, District Line Crews, Cable Crews) and other stakeholders to facilitate safe and economical solutions for the Distribution System.
Adhere to EGBC Bylaws, including the requirements for Continuing Education and Quality Management Guidelines. Provide their own EGBC permit to practice. BCH has developed their own Quality Management Practices that comply and sometimes exceed the requirements of EGBC. The successful applicant must follow the BCH Quality Management Practices in addition to those of EGBC.
Attend Safety, Environmental and Technical Training Sessions unique to BCH through on-line and in class training.
Work space will be provided in the BCH Victoria District office. BCH laptop will be provided and access to all required engineering software. Consultant to provide their own cellular telephone. Travel to remote locations for site visits is required, approximately once every second month. The costs will be refunded in accordance with BCH travel expense policy.