Estimated Work Start Date07-Feb-2022
Estimated Work End Date03-Feb-2023
Location: Burnaby, BC
Hourly Rate: $85 - $103/hour
* The E4 - Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
* A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
* Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
* Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
* Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
* Participate in BC Hydro's engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
* Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time.
Education and Skills
* Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
* BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
* Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
* Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
* Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
* Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
* All the required Experience and Role Accountabilities shall relate to Overhead - and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages at or below 35kV.
* Support operations, maintenance, repair, replacement and expansion of the BC Hydro Distribution System.
* Investigate, analyze and solve a variety of engineering problems, including the more challenging and unusual, by developing engineering techniques, devising new approaches and/or applying existing criteria in new ways
* Provide technical guidance, instruction, and assistance related to the operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and modifications of equipment
Additional Education and Skills
* Degree in Electrical Engineering recognized by universities in Canada, Power Engineering preferred
* Demonstrated experience and technical knowledge in both Overhead - and underground electric utility distribution systems operating at voltages at or below 35kV including automation
* Broad range of distribution related skills including planning, system engineering, protection engineering, design, and project management
* Demonstrated ability to perform system analysis
* Knowledge of various BC Hydro systems, policies and procedures, preferred
* Willingness to travel
* Maintain good standing in Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia (EGBC) throughout the term of the contract
* Maintain Driver's License Class 5 throughout the term of the contract
- P.Eng, Perm to practice - Comfortable dealing with customer connection requests, strong communicator with various stakeholders such as internal distribution designers and project managers
- Must be proficient in distribution coordination Asset: - able to use Cyme software - familiar with DAD GIS software.