Fire Protection Specialist
Duration: Full-Time Permanent
Location: Chalk River
The successful candidate will provide subject matter expertise in the area of fire protection to ensure compliance to applicable fire protection codes and standards, and to inform the appropriate official of contraventions of such codes and standards so that necessary corrective action may take place. The success candidate will also assess design, operational, inspection, testing and maintenance requirements, and provide guidance to achieve the fire protection goals to:
- minimize the risk of radiological releases that are a result of fire;
- protect nuclear facility occupants from death or injury due to fire;
- minimize economic loss resulting from fire damage to structures, equipment, and inventories; and
- minimize the impact of radioactive or hazardous material on the environment as a result of fire.
- Review fire hazard analyses, assessments, and other fire safety documentation for compliance with applicable requirements.
- Complete fire safety assessments associated with the fire protection screening process
- Complete or review FHAs as required.
- Review and evaluate requests for fire safety exemptions and equivalencies.
- Describe the conditions to consider when inspecting and testing fire protection systems to be able to verify or validate design features.
- Conduct project inspections and witness tests of buildings and fire protection systems to determine compliance with plans and specifications, and applicable standards and regulations.
- Review plans and specifications to determine compliance with the fire protection requirements of applicable standards and regulations.
- Assists with oversight of the site fire protection and fire department emergency services
programs and their implementation.
- Review the adequacy of contractor fire protection programs to ensure compliance with applicable codes, regulations, Departmental Orders, standards, guides, and risk graded approach.
- Assist with the preparation/review of the inspection, testing and maintenance procedures for fire equipment/systems in accordance with the applicable codes and standards.
- Assist with inspection, testing and maintenance activities to be performed on fire equipment/systems.
- Assist with the implementation of an electronic monitoring system for inspection and testing on fire equipment/systems.
- Work as part of a team designing fire protections systems.
- Complete engineering calculations to support and confirm the adequacy of detailed designs.
- Check formal engineering drawings to ensure they convey the engineering design intent.
- Prepare engineering documents such as Design Requirements, Design Descriptions, Work
Activity Plans, Test Plans, and Test Reports.
- Evaluate the adequacy of fire protection system design in accordance with applicable fire protection criteria and recommend changes as applicable.
- Interpret fire protection and fire operations directives and make recommendations to fire operations management, facility representatives, contractor management, and line organization.
- Advise as to fire protection requirements to be incorporated in the design and construction of buildings and structures and fire protection systems.
- Assist with fire investigations and other accident/incident investigation as required.
- Provide guidance based on fire protection engineering principles concerning the use of materials, appliances, systems, equipment and methods of design or construction procedures that are not specifically described by codes and standards, or that vary from the specific requirements in codes and standards, or for which no recognized test procedure has been established.
- Assist the training and fire prevention divisions with any questions regarding code interpretation.
- Represent the fire protection program at fire protection meetings, professional conferences, or other related committee meetings.
- Collaborate with Fire Systems personnel to ensure code compliance related to the inspection, testing, and maintenance of fire protection equipment/systems.
- Engineering or applied science degree in Fire Protection from a University of recognized standing
- Three or more years of experience working on fire protection systems or design
- Experience in fire modeling and adopting performance-based approach in fire protection design
- Good understanding of the National Building Code, National Fire Code, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA, and CSA N-293 and N-393 standards and their applications, as well as the ability to keep abreast of any changes.
- Able to provide technical expertise for the improvement of our clients fire protection equipment/systems (best technology) and their suitability for protection from fire.
- Able to plan and organize meetings and projects within the Fire Department and external groups.
- Able to verify the inspection, test, and maintenance required for typical fire protection equipment/systems.
- Able to maintain proficiency in fire protection engineering and fire department emergency services concepts and practices through continued education, training, and periodic review of fire protection codes and standards, which apply to our clients and its contractors.
- Able to review requirements, make recommendations, and assist with problem solving.