Geotechnical - Transmission - Lines
Estimated Work Start Date28-Dec-2021
Estimated Work End Date28-Dec-2022
Location: Burnaby, BC
- The E5 - Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide innovative engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium to high complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
- A minimum ten (10) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
- Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium to highly complex assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
- Meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
- Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
- Participate in BC Hydro's engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
- Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time.
- Make decisions and recommendations of a complex technical nature including the establishment of design bases, criteria and concepts, and/or on matters affecting the management of engineering/geoscience resources and activities to support major work assignments for the engineering divisions at BC Hydro.
Education and Skills
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
- BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
- Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
- Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
- Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
- Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
- This role requires demonstrated experience with geotechnical design for Overhead - structures and underground cables and facilities for operating voltages from 60kV to 500kV in an electric utility environment, as well as design for telecommunication towers.
- Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with BC Hydro project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
- Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
- Prepare signed and sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional Geoscientist and as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro Design Practices.
- Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field, and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
- Prepare designs for existing and new facilities.
- Undertake site investigations of surface and subsurfaces to establish geotechnical ground conditions and soil classification.
- Perform various in situ field tests such as standard penetration test, cone penetration, dynamic cone penetrometer.
- Perform tasks in the field for laboratory soil testing.
- Undertake analysis for design of concrete, steel, timber, aluminum, and composite structures associated with Transmission Overhead - Lines including single and multiple pole structures (rigid and guyed), and lattice (rigid and guyed) for shallow (i.e. grillage) and deep (i.e. piles) foundations.
- Undertake analysis for foundations design of structures associated with Transmission Underground Cables including potheads, concrete vaults, and cable duct banks.
- Prepare reports for internal and external clients detailing investigations, evaluation, analysis, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Provide technical guidance and review of designs prepared by others following established practices.
- Manage design tasks including scope, schedule, and cost.
- Must have A degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering from accredited Universities in Canada. 2
- Must have E5 level of experience and skill classification according to EGBC 2017 Guide of Competency Assessment, with 12 years of experience or more.
- Must have P.Eng
- Must have valid BC drivers license.
- Must have demonstrated experience as Geotechnical Engineer
- Must have demonstrated experience with geotechnical design linear transmission infrastructure and experience must be translatable to Overhead - structures and underground cables and facilities for operating voltages from 60kV to 500kV in an electric utility environment, as well as design for telecommunication towers.