Human Factors Engineer
Location: Wilmington, NC, USA (remote)
Duration: 18 Months
Hourly Rate: $80 - $100/hour
The Human Factors Engineer (HFE) contributes to the overall strategy and manages complex issues that support GEH Engineering concerning the application of Human Factors methodologies to existing nuclear plants and next-generation Reactors such as BWRX-300.
- The Senior Engineer / Technologist provides consultation and technical direction on near term and longer-range projects in the area of Human Factors Engineering, including.
- Conduct System and Plant Operational Analysis using latest NRC processes, including Functional
- Requirements Analysis (FRA).
- Analyze requirements for plant control and Allocate Functions (AOF) to operators or plant control systems.
- Conduct Task Analyses (TA) to determine the requirements for the displays, controls, and other job support aids needed to accomplish functions.
- Translate FRA AOF & TA requirements into Human/System Interface (HIS) characteristics, displays, software & hardware for monitoring, control, and protection functions for various plant systems and operating modes
- Review Control Room design documentation including display specs (User Interface
- Specifications) against FRA, AOF & TA requirements
- Review and validate the Human/System Interface using a simulator and plant operating, surveillance, and emergency procedures. Interface with internal and external customers, suppliers, partners, licensing, the NRC and international regulatory authorities on technical issues
- Incorporate design requirements into analyses and design documents
- Support the development of normal, abnormal, emergency operating procedures, alarm response procedures, surveillance procedures and operator training programs
- Interface with the Probabilistic Risk Analysis team to deliver the Human Reliability Analysis Provide plant operation input to the Reliability Availability Maintainability (RAM) program Develop proceed/hold acceptance criteria & pre-requisites for Pre-operational, Startup and selected Construction tests.
- Support GEH quality requirements, including participation in design reviews, initiating, and responding to Corrective Actions
- Provide on-time, quality delivery of engineering documentation in accordance with contract requirements, business procedures, and regulatory agency guidelines
- Bachelor's Degree of Science in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer
- Science, or equivalent 4-year degree in a technical discipline.
- Minimum 7 years of Human Factors experience in process, power, or marine industry
Additional Desired Characteristics:
- M.S. or PhD Degree in Engineering or HFE related Discipline or equivalent
- Senior Reactor Operator (SRO) certification at a commercial nuclear facility, NRC license preferred.
- Operating experience or outage experience in positions requiring SRO or RO certification or license.
- Experience in the operation of large nuclear, chemical, or other industrial facilities
- Registered Professional Engineer in the United States
- Documented delivery of high-quality procedures for mission critical facilities. Nuclear plant emergency procedure experience.
- Experience with procedure writing, training or surveillance test execution.
- Experience with alarm system design, alarm rationalization, and alarm prioritization
- Experience with NRC and INPO Operator Training Guidelines
- Experience with NRC Regulatory Guide 0711 or 0711 site implementation and reviews. Knowledge of GEH Reactor Designs
- Experience with GE documentation system, practices, and requirements Knowledge and experience with 3Keymaster and Intergraph Smartplant suite tools Proven ability to think strategically, be creative and move quickly
- Quick learner, able to sort through information and make timely and sound decisions
- Strong oral and written communication skills; communicates messages clearly and concisely Solid technical writing skills with focus on requirements, design, and description documents Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems
- Ability to document, plan, market, and execute programs
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Open communication style and proven ability to develop team relationships Detail oriented and accountable for completion of work and assignments Self-starter with a positive, can-do attitude
- Legacy of delivering on commitments; tenacious, with a proven track record of overcoming obstacles
- Honest and straightforward with a high level of personal integrity
- Strong external focus; clear and demonstrated understanding of nuclear industry and/or energy industry