Numerical Modeler for Geotechnical Analysis - 18457
- Location British Columbia
- Job type Contract
- Salary $80 - 110 per hour
- Discipline Power Generation and Distribution
- Reference JOB-25541
Numerical Modeler for Geotechnical Analysis – 18457
Location: Edmonds- BC
Estimated Work Start Date: 27-Feb-2023
Estimated Work End Date: 27-Feb-2024
Rate: $80/hour to $110/hour
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities:
- Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with BC Hydro project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e., evaluation reports, technical specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
- Plan and coordinate projects including preparation of project plans, design basis, field reviews and project reports, and specifications.
- Prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro Design Practices.
- Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
- Prepare engineering analysis and design deliverables in accordance with BC Hydro Design Practices.
- Provide technical assistance and construction field support and undertake field reviews.
- Site investigation planning, supervision and inspection for stations and dams including layout of drill holes, test pits, specification of test requirements, preparation and implementation of interim dam safety risk management plans, in-situ testing, logging of soils and rock, collecting samples, and the installation of instrumentation etc.
- Collection, analysis and interpretation of data obtained from site investigations and other published sources, including survey data, LiDAR, satellite imagery, GIS, soil maps, papers, reports, etc.
- Characterize soil sites into units and estimates engineering parameters for design based on the geologic history, site investigation data, and other published sources.
- Perform stability and seepage analyses of embankments, slopes and excavations
- Perform embankment dam design and performance assessment, filter compatibility, internal erosion, potential failure modes identification, rip rap and erosion protection, dam characterization, dam construction, dam surveillance and emergency response.
- Design of geotechnical instrumentation and field installation. Knowledge of both conventional and remote sensing techniques including: weirs, inclinometers and earth pressure cells, fibre optic sensors, Automatic Data Acquisition Systems, downhole and crosshole seismic, SP, distributed temperature monitoring, etc.
- Design of ground improvement and grouting programs. Knowledge of grouting techniques for improvement of soil properties and permeability reduction including: grout mix design, tremie grouting, compaction grouting, jet grouting, grout curtains, cut off walls, void filling, dam foundation grouting, grout monitoring and control techniques.
- Design of shallow foundations, retaining walls and soil anchors.
- Understanding of geotechnical earthquake engineering and seismic hazard, liquefaction potential, seismic and deformation analysis of embankment dams, slopes, retaining structures, foundations etc.
- Site supervision of earthwork construction.
- Spatial analysis and assessment of geotechnical data in GIS.
- Other miscellaneous services of a geotechnical engineering nature.
- Document review for the development of 3D CADD and GIS models.
Additional Education and Skills
- Degree in Geotechnical, Geological or Civil Engineering.
- Valid British Columbia Class 5 driver’s license.
- Currently registered as a Professional Engineer with the Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC).
- Knowledge and experience in geotechnical engineering including:
- Soil mechanics
- Site investigation
- In-situ testing and lab testing
- Deformation and seepage analyses
- Dam engineering, design and analysis
- Dam performance assessment
- Dam surveillance
- Geotechnical instrumentation and monitoring
- Grouting and ground improvement
- Seismic hazard, and geotechnical earthquake engineering.
- Foundation design
- Retaining wall design
- Seepage and groundwater transport
- Slope stability, design foundations,
- Design of drainage and dewatering systems, etc.
Education and Skills:
- University graduate in applied science or engineering
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
- BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
- Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
- Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
- Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
Working knowledge of relevant software, including Rocscience products (RS2, RocFall. Dips, etc., Geoslope (Slope/w, Seep/w, etc.), FLAC, PLAXIS,VERSAT, FEFLOW, MODFLOW, etc.
- Ability to work independently, exercising judgment and initiative with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze and resolve challenging and unusual engineering problems by incorporating innovative design and/or analysis methods.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong proficiency of both written and oral communication in English and be able to prepare well-written technical reports and clearly present work to an audience.
- Ability to provide technical directions to junior engineers
- Ability to manage design tasks including scope, schedule and cost
- Ability to find engineering solutions that add value and to reach consensus
- Ability to communicate efficiently including verbal and technical writing in the English language, analytical, interpersonal communications and presentation skills
- Experience in project management including estimating, cost control, and project administration
- Master of Applied Sciences in Geotechnical Engineering
- 3 years and up of experience in the numerical modelling related to geotechnical engineering.
- Class 5 driver's license in good standing
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC.
- Please refer to Work assignment requirements for detailed description.
- Knowledge of programs on multiple platforms
- Analyzing embankment dams