Protection & Control, Project Engineer
Estimated Work Start Date06-Dec-2021
Estimated Work End Date30-Nov-2023
Standard Hours Per Day7.50
Location: Burnaby BC/Work From Home
* The E5 - Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide innovative engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium to high complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
* A minimum ten (10) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
* Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium to highly complex assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
* Meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
* Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
* Participate in BC Hydro's engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
* Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time.
* Make decisions and recommendations of a complex technical nature including the establishment of design bases, criteria and concepts, and/or on matters affecting the management of engineering/geoscience resources and activities to support major work assignments for the engineering divisions at BC Hydro.
Education and Skills
* Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
* BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
* Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
* Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
* Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
* Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Role SpecialtySpecialist Project Engineer - Transmission - Stations
Role Specialty Description:
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
? A minimum ten (10) years of substation engineering experience including significant time working in the electrical utility industry, and a degree in a relevant engineering discipline such as electrical, civil, or structural.
? A minimum four (4) years of working experience in leading multi-discipline design teams and in protection, control, and telecom systems.
Additional Education and Skills
? Professional Engineer registered with EGBC
? Solid electric utility engineering background with the ability to think from a transmission system and operations perspective as well as an ability to understand the interactions and priorities of multi-discipline projects
? Good working knowledge project management principles and roles
? Good working knowledge of design and transmission lines, an asset
Work Assignment Requirements:
(Max Characters: 8000)
This position is for a Senior Project Engineer in the P&C Engineering Division. Specific P&C design and design leadership/ coordination experience is required. Engineers in this team may take on a Project Engineer role or an Owner's Engineer role, depending on the project.
In the Project Engineer role, they will manage the engineering component (Scope, Schedule and Cost) of large and/or technically complex projects which typically have a considerable profile, complexity and risk. Projects may include work being designed entirely within BC Hydro, entirely outside of BC Hydro, or a combination thereof.
* They may perform the Owner's Engineer role on projects where some or all of the engineering work is done by a third party such as an outside consultant or equipment vendor.
* As an Owner's Engineer, they will coordinate and lead the internal review and acceptance of work designed by a third party.
* For all projects, they work with functional managers on resource assignments to ensure the project needs are met.
* Typical projects include: transmission system protection, control, or SCADA projects (system expansion, upgrades or replacements), transmission interconnection projects with a significant P&C or tele-protection focus, compliance projects affecting the transmission P&C or Tele-protection systems. .
* They work closely with project managers to manage the scope schedule and cost of the project and are responsible for managing the project technical risks including project system integration with the existing transmission system and other issues.
* They are responsible for establishing design and review plans, strategies and resource requirements for the project.
* They are responsible for the technical specifications and drawings for procurement contracts and managing engineering consultant's contracts.
* They work with Construction and Contract Management, the Engineering teams, Quality Management, and Field Operations to ensure that technical support is provided during manufacturing, construction and commissioning and that technical issues are resolved in a timely manner.
* They make or review recommendations to management on complex project matters.