Position: Standpipe and Bunker Waste Retrieval System (SBWRS) Supervisor.
Location: Whitedshell laboratories Manitoba. Approximately 10 km west of Pinawa and 100 km northeast of Winnipeg
Duration: 2 Years with possible 3 one year extensions
Start Date: Start date will be upon validation of Level 2 (Top Secret) security clearance. Training will begin immediately.
Role Summary Standpipe and Bunker Waste Retrieval System (SBWRS) operations will consist of the operation of the Standpipe Headworks (SPH), Standpipe Waste Retrieval System (SWRS), the Bunker Waste Retrieval System (BWRS) and the Sorting and Conditioning Unit (SCU). This position will support the Stand Pipe and Bunker Waste Removal System (SBWRS) Design/Fabrications/Testing/Training/Coaching at Whiteshell Laboratory near Pinawa Manitoba Canada within the Waste Management Area (WMA) and will require travel to the Greater Toronto area in Ontario Canada to support the Development and Training of equipment being tested for Commissioning at Whiteshell.
This position will require Whiteshell Laboratories' full training and procedure compliance to operate within the WMA as well as obtaining and maintaining a class 2 security clearance.
- Graduation from an institute of technology or equivalent with a minimum of six years' experience in
- industrial manufacturing and/or construction, including 5 years of supervisory experience in the nuclear industry.
- A formal education in the nuclear engineering/sciences/technology is an asset
- Experienced in remotely operated machines and equipment in the nuclearindustry Must have a technical and mechanical background with preferred knowledge of scientific andremote operations.
- 2-3 years' experience coaching and supervising a multi-disciplinedteam.
- Must have experience making educated and critical decisions within a complex work environment.
Abilities and Skills: The incumbent should have:
- Inspire and lead a multi-disciplined team of engineers, technologists, scientists, radiation protection personnel, tradesperson, and others.
- Demonstrated ability to assume responsibilities.
- Read and understand specifications and drawings and interpret complex construction and fabrications drawings.
- Effectively establish 3 way communications with clear and precise directions both verbally and in writing to fellow staff members.
- An up to date working knowledge of all applicable company and general safety regulations, procedures and union agreements.
- Be self-motivated, havea good tactful and diplomatic manner, sound judgement and organizational abilities.
- A willingness to undergo additional training appropriate to the position (e.g., computers, quality assurance, applicable codes and team building skills, in the field training). Promote safety and good housekeeping practices and instruct employees in the same.
- Ensure that Whiteshell (and testing location) rules, regulations, policies and union agreements are observed.
- Have knowledge of current facility management and maintenance management practices. Must be able to communicate and report to the management effectively and frequently. Be aware of the schedule and cost relationship.
Job/Industry Specific Knowledge
- Must be able to coordinate with the field staff
- Must be able to interact with the radiation protection team to ensure radiation safety protocols are observed
- Must be knowledgeable of Occupation Health and Safety (OSH)procedures.
3. Functions and Responsibilities Functions and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- This position will require the supervision of moving material, both Radiological and non- Radiological, within the Waste Management Area/ Protected Area (WMA/PA).
- This position will require a high level of attention to details and critical thinking. System Supervisors will be required to qualify as a Control Room Supervisor (CRS) as well. All System Supervisors will rotate thru the CRS position during SBWRS normal operations.
- Required to work in a Radiological Area(s) wear respiratory Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).
- Required to troubleshoot equipment and offer resolution(s) via remote monitor(s).
- Assist with preparing procedures, work plans, packages, hazard analysis, and route sheets. Monitors work in progress and reports as required.
6. Problem Solving
Type of problem solving related to the role
- Remote Operated Cameras and viewing systems
- Conveyor system parts replacement
- Electrical/Hydraulic/Ventilation and loading process
- Remotely operated equipment, Remote Equipment arms (REA), Remote Operated manipulator Arm (ROMA), and Standpipe Waste Retrieval Arm (SWARM).
- The CRS will be up to 800 feet away from the SPH/SWRS/BRWS/SCU and will require a great deal of knowledge and understanding of system(s) to assist with the trouble shooting of an array of issues.
7. Leadership of Self and Others
- Will be required on occasion to delegate
- Leadership qualities and establish 2 way communication with the team members
- Self-motivated and be able to inspire motivation to the team members
- Work with Engineering/Management/contractors/vendors in a professional manner