Location: Burnaby, BC
Type of Employment: Contract
Duration: 4 months with a possibility of extension or conversion to permanent
Job Title: Solutions Engineering Manager
The Solution Engineering Manager also knows as Technical Project Manager provides the principle engineering delivery leadership, direction, management decision authority and support to the Project. They are the focal point for the Engineering process on multidisciplinary signaling projects and must be able to oversee the resolution, implementation and deployment of all issues, problems, questions and conflicts across the entire system.
The Solution Engineering Manager directs and manages the Engineering team on Bid/project to achieve company objectives in terms of program schedule, financial and quality targets. This role requires a solid combined technical and managerial foundation to lead the engineering effort on the project to ensure the solutions endorsed by the PDA are delivered to the schedules agreed with the PMO within the approved work plan budgets.
The SEM may be engaged in either or both Bidding and Delivery phases of the Project.
The SEM role can sometimes be endorsed simultaneously with the PM and/or PDA role according to the size of the project
· Defining and delivering the strategy, plan and implementation of the overall Engineering Solution for the Project. Defining the System development life cycle and defining the process, practices and tools applicable to the project based on the BL / Domain reference system and tailored based on specific constraints.
· Writing the SEMP, organize co-engineering and approving the lower level solution elements engineering plans including those flow down to subcontractors and partners in the frame of the engineering work-packages.
· Directing and providing overall technical and engineering leadership to the team assigned to the project to deliver the Engineering solution to time, cost and quality. This will be done through the accurate measurement of progress on the project using the proper Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
· Managing Risks and Opportunities (in collaboration with Bid/Project Manager) for all engineering activities
· Ensuring that the Engineering Processes, practices and tools are applied correctly and appropriately on the bid or project to company, legislative, regulatory and international standards, as defined in the associate bid/project plans
· Leading the interfacing with the Engineering teams of the client and other external Engineering parties to ensure that the integration and migration of the overall Engineering solution within its infrastructure and associated projects is achieved
· Ensuring that the Bid / Project's Design and other Technical Certification is coordinated, complete and consistent with the delivered and installed base and can be provided for Business approval and delivery to the customer;
· Supporting the Project / Programme Director in the management of change, variation, risk and opportunity, recovery and acceleration as it affects the delivery of the Engineering solution.
· Overseeing the development of cost and time estimates for project activities to meet business and customer objectives.
· Ensuring that any Corrective Actions and Observations related to the engineering delivery and solution are closed in a timely and complete manner.
· Defining the Engineering skills needed for the bid/project and working with the Engineering Functional Teams to ensure that the Project's engineering team are competent, developed to their full potential, mobilized and released in a timely and planned manner.
Experience with systems engineering and requirements management
Embedded software delivery background
System level signaling project delivery
Leading multidisciplinary engineering teams
Proven customer communication / technical Management skills
People Management leadership
Work package management
System design of Software preponderant systems
College or university graduate preferably with a Degree in Engineering