165763 Senior App Developer
- Job type Contract
- Salary Market related
- Discipline Power Generation and Distribution
- Reference JOB-26659
Senior Application Developer
Client: Government of Alberta (Service Alberta)
Location: Edmonton, Alberta – Remote (Must work from within Alberta and available on meetings on site if required)
Employment Type: Contract
Contract Duration: 2 years (Potential end date: Jan 31, 2026)
Job Title: Senior App Developer (Snr Workforce Reporting Platform)
Estimated hours per day: 8 hours
Project Overview :
The Public Service Commission (PSC) seeks an experienced Application Developer for continued improvement, development, and support of the Workforce Reporting Platform (WRP). The WRP is a modern business intelligence solution focused on human capital data. Technology used includes the full Microsoft BI stack, SharePoint, Microsoft Office, and custom developed components.
The WRP back-end includes a data warehouse for archiving, rule-based data cleansing, and data transforms and in-memory semantic layer for aggregate and analytic calculations, security, and fast performance. Data consistency and common security is ensured as the variety of front-end technologies access the semantic layer only.
The WRP will work in tandem with the Government of Alberta’s (GoA) new Enterprise Reporting Platform (ERP). The Application Developer will work alongside our Data Architect to ensure data from this new AESG system continues to be received by the WRP appropriately and translates the existing 20 years of historical data in the warehouse into a format that enables cohesive reporting and analytics between the two data sets.
Job Summary :
Deliver applications programming and analysis tasks as part of a system development process as well as provide application support, maintenance and enhancements. An Application Developer applies a broad knowledge of various technical areas to foresee and rectify certain problem areas within technology or with a mix of technologies, but the focus is to ensure a certain business/functional use case is solved with the help of technology.
- Liaise with business units and program areas to ensure solutions meet current and strategic ministry needs.
- Align development team to follow Application Architecture.
- Write code for the most complex Functional and Technical Designs with minimal defects.
- Define non-functional requirements (Performance, Availability, Portability, Recovery / Recoverability etc.).
- Assess technical impacts up front and recommend better ways of designing application to ease the development.
- Produce Technical Design, Database structure and Application Architecture for a new average to high complex application.
- Seek for the best technical design solution that respects budget and timeline. Advocate the re-use of existing components/frameworks.
- Innovate in providing better efficient ways to design application.
- Review Technical Designs from other developers and recommend optimization if necessary.
- Evaluate, with assistance, the quality of the product being delivered, and take action to improve situations.
- Assist/Execute performance/penetration tests and troubleshoot issues at the system level.
- Isolate root cause of issues and provide solution options/recommendations.
- Provide tracking and reporting of time and status on all work, as required.
- Contribute to the creation of the Application Lifecycle Planning.
- Identify and coordinate release schedules.
- Identify service requests and priorities with customers.
- Ensure planned releases remain on schedule.