Back to jobs
20-113 - Project Engineer
Number of Vacancies: 2
Duration: 12 months
- Reporting to the Project Manager, the Project Engineer will be on a multidisciplinary team to advance the planning, site preparation, vendor oversight, and advancement of the development of Small Modular Reactor technology for deployment at Darlington.
- The Project Engineer will coordinate and collaborate with both internal/external stakeholders to understand and contribute to scope definition, schedules, cost, and quality performance for the assigned project scope(s).
- Responsible for co-ordinating, facilitating and driving project scoping, planning, execution.
- Coordinates the clarification of design and specification requirements, and arrange for necessary changes.
- Arrange and lead meetings to coordinate the requirements of designers, suppliers, construction and OPG internal stakeholder groups.
- Prepare scope of work documents, feed into Estimating processes, and assist in preparation of Business Case Summaries for Senior Management, the Executive Office and the Board of Directors, for project approval and the release of funds.
- Prepare and coordinate the preparation of all information pertinent to an assigned project and alternatives to be considered for input into planning.
- Coordinates and participate in the preparation of specifications, bid packages, evaluation of tenders, and purchasing recommendations.
- Review construction contractor labour estimates, schedules, execution plans, inspection and test plans and project oversight plans. Gather input from stakeholder departments and agencies to ensure project requirements are captured and detailed in the project documents.
- Provide oversight of construction contractors for initial planning, scope identification, risks, estimates/budgets and constraints that support effective project management and field execution.
- Evaluate vendor proposals, negotiate contracts, and make recommendation for contract award that provides the best value to OPG.
- Initiate, manage, and administer contracts including payments and change orders.
- Provide management and project managers with regular project reports such as level one summaries, and participate in regular process progress meetings.
- Maintain awareness of, and keep all project parties informed of latest design, construction, budgeting, estimating and scheduling practices and other corporate procedures. Review and maintain awareness of all corporate and local procedures pertinent to project control and administration. Maintain process compliance during project execution and advise supervisor if compliance cannot be achieved.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Applied Science.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience within project engineering;
- Ideal candidates will have worked in a Nuclear Engineering environment;
- Experience and ability as a team player to understand and manage the interrelationships of various internal and external groups in order to facilitate objectives and ensure projects satisfy stakeholder requirements;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable leading meetings and giving presentations;
- Have experience and/or willingness to interface with vendors;
- Have a strong interest in fast-paced, challenging work environments where showing initiative and self motivation are assets;
- Proven track record on delivering results;
- Strong in understanding, executing and following governance and procedures with a questioning and analytical attitude/approach under minimum required supervision;
- Knowledge of OPG's ECC Process (Engineering Change Control) is an asset.