24-013 Tech Engineer/Officer (Intermediate)
Resume Due Date: Tuesday, January 23rd, 2024 (5:00PM EST)
Number of Vacancies: 2
Hourly Rate: $55-65/hour
Duration: 24 months
Hours of work: 35
Location: Darlington (Hybrid, 2 days remote)
- Prepare or help prepare specifications, for purchasing requisitions for material, services, and equipment involved in a design for Projects. Follow up with procurement and provide necessary technical services during design for Projects and also during field installation. Prepare recommendations for spare parts requirements for new equipment.
- Solve problems, to provide advice and guidance, to initiate developmental studies and to make recommendations during the design, commissioning, and operation of a nuclear facility; to evaluate components or materials, and to perform economic studies and evaluations associated with the design, commissioning, and operation of a nuclear facility. Requires further experience and learning in the position to become familiar with the work and fully competent.
- Perform detailed design, manage engineering and design activities as well design oversight of external design vendors for multi-disciplinary projects in OPG's nuclear sites from concept to commissioning in Electrical and I&C areas.
- Protect the station design basis and adheres to nuclear governance with emphasis on safety as the overriding priority.
- To independently work at entry level (attached to an experienced senior engineer) to mid-level & Senior level, depending on experience, to progress and complete all design related tasks in a project.
- Be a Licensed Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in the Province of Ontario or eligible (such as already applied as EIT).
- Has a bachelor’s degree in electrical and Instrumentation engineering.
- Has about 2 - 10 years of Projects’ Detailed Design experience in nuclear or in non-nuclear, through providing technical expert knowledge and support on electrical and instrumentation areas of a project.
- Possess strong knowledge of physics, chemistry, metallurgy, mathematics, electricity, engineering, and economics to technically understand the operation of the nuclear facility. Requires analytical kills and advanced knowledge of one or more of these subjects to evaluate and propose improvements to processes, equipment, and systems or toward safety, reliability, and performance. Requires knowledge of English to prepare clear and concise reports and recommendations both verbally and in writing.
- Has worked with thorough understanding and knowledge in a broad range of electrical and instrumentation areas in projects (e.g., Medium and Low Voltage Electrical Equipment and Cables, Plant Instrumentation and Controls, Calibration for Process Systems instrumentation equipment, Public Address, Telephone and Fire Detection systems, Applications of Software, Cyber Security and Human Factors Engineering etc.).
- Experienced in leading / performing Nuclear Projects Design assignments to prepare detailed design documents, Analysis and Reports, Scope of Work, Procurement Specifications (Equipment and Services), review Vendors’ proposals as well as Vendor’s designs and documents in electrical and instrumentation areas of one or more numbers of multidisciplinary project(s) to make the design ready for field installation. Prepare recommendations for spare parts requirements for new equipment.
- Has good understanding of OPG’s risk-based Engineering Change Control process or systematic approach to control design rigors and qualities.
- Capable of following up with all stakeholders including procurement, field engineering, operations and maintenance and provide necessary technical services during field installation.
- Availability of Standard Security clearance to be eligible to work in OPG will be an asset.