24-015 Coordinating Sr. Project Engineer/Officer
Resume Due Date: Thursday, January 25th, 2024 (5:00PM EST)
Number of Vacancies: 2
Hourly Rate: $80 - 89/hour
Duration: 12 months
Hours of work: 35
Location: 889 Brock Road, Pickering (Hybrid, 2 days remote)
- Keep all project parties informed on latest capital construction and other corporate procedures. Review and maintain awareness of all corporate procedures pertinent to project control and administration. Communicate with appropriate departments and areas to ensure availability of latest practices on budgeting, estimating, scheduling, etc.
- Maintain an awareness of technological advancements in engineering and construction fields. Review technical publications and other literature. Communicate with engineering counterparts internally and externally to exchange information and views on improved designs, products, methods and techniques.
- Maintain liaison with concerned internal and external groups, regulatory bodies and agencies and cooperate in exchange of engineering and other relevant data as required to meet the project objectives. Arrange and as appropriate, chair meetings involving group(s) concerned with a given project. Guide and direct discussions involving internal staff, contractors, manufacturers, suppliers, and the like in an effort to efficiently and effectively meet the project objectives.
- Meet with consultants and contractors before and after contract awards to clarify the intent of such contracts. Where appropriate, influence the same to change their methods, office procedures, design criteria, etc. to ones more suitable to the Corporation, at minimum cost to the Corporation.
- Participate in programs to dispose of surplus equipment which becomes available, consequent to cancelled construction projects, such as unused turbines, generators, etc. Meet with potential buyers and influence them to accept such equipment in lieu of their original intended purchases.
- Prepare and coordinate the preparation of all information pertinent to an assigned project required for input to the generation planning process and/or alternative to be considered. Prepare and coordinate the preparation of project assessment reports.
- Provide coordination and assistance in the preparation of preliminary project studies and reports and in the preparation of submissions to senior management, the Executive Office and the Board of Directors, for project approval and the release of funds. Initiate, coordinate and assist in the preparation of project control schedules, cost estimates and project performance specifications; monitor, evaluate and report on cost and schedule changes; provide appropriate departments and agencies with detailed project requirements, interpreting and discussing with personnel involved as required. Arrange for application to, and negotiate with, agencies, internal and external, for all necessary approvals, licenses, permits or clearances required and where necessary influence them to accept OPG proposals and make changes to regulations, where practical and safe to do. Coordinate the clarification of design and specification requirements and arrange for necessary changes. Coordinate and monitor the preparation of specifications, requisitions, evaluation of tenders, purchasing recommendations, and contract administration. Arrange meetings as required to coordinate requirements and progress between design, suppliers, construction and operations. Maintain close liaison with field construction and operation on matters involving design, schedules, costing, and other related issues. Initiate, coordinate, arrange and control supporting services by other departments and external organizations. Provide immediate and higher management with appropriate reports on work progress. Review detailed cost variance reports, provide explanations and recommendations for over- or under-expenditures and take corrective actions when required. Execute other project management functions as required by the corporate policies and procedures.
- Provide work direction to staff assigned to assist in the preceding duties. Plan, organize and schedule the unit's work activity, carrying out specific phases and assigning others to staff with instruction, coordinating their work, providing direction on their problem areas, reviewing and assessing their performance and attending to the usual personnel matters.
- Undertake the organizing, coordinating and controlling of all stages of project engineering for assigned projects from inception and approval to final acceptance, or its transfer to a dedicated project unit.
- Visit various site locations, manufacturers, suppliers, etc. Be prepared to observe plant sites and installations in Canada and outside the country to observe techniques, equipment, etc. Provide input as required and utilize knowledge gained for Ontario Power Generation (OPG) application.
- When required, provide advice and assistance to other members of the project team and other interested parties concerning project procedures and control methods on work assigned outside of the department.
- Requires a knowledge of engineering as related to design requirements for proposed major facilities and components. Requires a knowledge of physics, engineering mathematics, chemistry as related to stress, materials and total system performance. Requires a knowledge of economics to provide cost estimates and cost trends concerning generating station construction and operation. This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired in either a four-year university education in an appropriate field or the equivalent.
- Requires experience in planning and development aspects of electrical power plants to become familiar with generating station design and associated components.
- Requires experience in a generalized but related industry to appreciate the manufacturing and supply techniques.
- Requires experience to solve problems, provide guidance and initiate studies, designs and economic forecasts.
- Requires experience to understand the interrelationships of various internal and external groups in order to facilitate objectives.
- Requires experience and knowledge related to environmental protection and associated concerns.
- Requires experience in a supervisory role to coordinate staff effort related to design and development activities for major generating station facilities. Requires experience in project management.
- A period of over 10 years and up to and including 12 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.