Construction Officer (MICA)
Estimated Work Start Date: 20-Mar-2023
Estimated Work End Date: 22-Sep-2023
Standard Hours Per Day: 10.00
Location: Vernon, Salmon Arm, Kamloops, Kelowna, Revelstoke, BC as locations for potential resources.
Hourly Rate: $80 -88/hour
- The Construction Officer Level 3 acts as construction site coordinator and inspector on multiple or large civil, electrical, and/or mechanical projects to ensure the work, materials, progress, and cost meet BC Hydro expectations.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
- A minimum seven (7) years of construction experience or equivalent.
- Inspect construction work which may be on substations, transmission lines, and hydroelectric equipment by using excellent skills in inspection procedures and understanding of construction methods to meet deadlines and comply with building and safety codes.
- Ensure work site safety by prioritizing the safe execution of work and performing Safe Work Observations using excellent knowledge in safety standards and regulations to improve BC Hydro’s safety performance.
- Conduct or coordinate site testing, surveying, and estimating activities by using good working knowledge of engineering drawings to enable timely progression of projects. The potential working conditions may include adverse weather and working at heights or underground.
- Support contract and/or work order administration by collaborating with contractors and/or BC Hydro internal construction services to ensure that the work, materials, progress, and costs meet expectations so that projects are implemented as planned.
- Act as a subject matter expert by providing advice on complex technical issues to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
- Respond appropriately to internal and third-party construction inquiries by using excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills to professionally represent BC Hydro on-site, as assigned.
Education and Skills
- Diploma in Civil, Electrical, or Mechanical Technology from an Institute of Technology or relevant trades, apprenticeship courses, or equivalent
- Training in contract law
- Excellent working knowledge of safety standards and regulations such as Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Standards and WorkSafe Regulations
- Advanced English skills for professional environment, written and spoken