Role: Electrical Design Engineer
Ottawa, ON - Chrysalis Way
Contract Duration: 6 months with a possibility of extension
As a part of the Design Service team, electrical designer will complete Design Office tasks such as creating block diagrams, cable drawings, cable schedules, cable termination schedules along with supporting Systems Engineering. Expected result: Delivery of vessel that satisfies all Customer Requirements within' scope of work.
- Provide Engineering Support Function for assigned NSS projects including:
- Receiving systems architecture in MS Vision and creating block diagrams, cable drawings, cable schedules, cable termination schedules, termination along with supporting Systems Engineering.
- Creating standard approach and practice guideline for managing and controlling cable tagging. Assigning tags or identifiers as required
- Managing system cables which are reaching to vendors or Tier 1 suppliers by actively communicating with the external stakeholders to identify and discuss boundaries such as junction boxes , pin outs creating solutions which will serve the purpose of the system based on the customer requirements
- Supporting mechanical interface/space consideration and analyzing with the team to create effective and viable solutions
- Supporting cable tagging, equipment tagging proposed baseline changes that arise during the design and work through to completion by engaging appropriate Systems Engineering resources, the Customer, Suppliers, and other stakeholders to define the overall solution.
- Representing us in customer meetings to discuss technical discussions such as cable diagram updates based on Customer's Clouds tool needs
- Creating Design Office work procedure , flow chart, guidelines to standardize the approach on all programs
- Analyze, define, trace, and manage systems requirement for all elements of the solution
- Supporting Managing platform data by updating, and developing installation packages
- Ensuring that design integrity requirements (activities and deliverables) are correctly flowed down to subcontractors and our VSY Design Office team and production team
- Ensuring our Engineering Data correctly flows down to Integrated Product Team (IPT) members
- Assist in risk management and risk mitigation strategies
Assist in obtaining stakeholder agreement about changes to and management of the system requirements
Skills: Must be able to obtain Controlled Goods and Reliability Clearance
Must Haves (requirements)
- 3+ years' experience in a systems engineering environment, ideally in the defense industry
- Experience in the Systems Engineering life cycle, including typical tools for modeling for design such as Solidworks Electrical, AutoCAD
- High level oral and written communication skills required for report writing and design justification documentation
Nice to haves (asset) It would be an asset to have a comprehensive understanding of naval systems and design standards for commercial and naval platforms following IMO and Class requirements, Lloyds Regiter Rules & Regulations, IEC standards, IMO Regulations, SOLAS regulations, Transport Canada marine Acts and Regulations. These skills are expected to be developed; Experience in ship design, build, operation and maintenance is an asset It would be an asset to have experience with Canadian ship building requirements for shock and vibration, EMC/EMI, drawing standards and industry design standards. These skills are expected to be developed;
Education: College Degree in Electrical Electronics Technologist program with relevant experience.