Engineer - Structural - Transmission Lines and Telecom
- Location Vancouver
- Job type Contract
- Salary $80 - 110 per hour
- Discipline Construction and Infrastructure
- Reference JOB-26859
Hours: Monday to Friday at 7.5 hours per day
Rate: Up to $110/INC
Location of Services: The consultant will work at BC Hydro Edmonds office tower (located at 6911 Southpoint Drive, Burnaby, BC V3N 4X8), as well as work remotely from home, as Hybrid classification under Flexible Work Model at BC Hydro. There may be travel, as required, to sites in cities and remote locations within British Columbia using all modes of transportation.
• This role requires demonstrated experience with the design of structures for Overhead - lines and associated facilities for operating voltages from 60kV to 500kV in an electric utility environment, as well as design of telecommunication towers
• Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with BC Hydro project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis, calculations, hazard logs, test plans)
• Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates
• Prepare signed and sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro Design Practices
• Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field, and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC
• Prepare designs for existing and new facilities
• Undertake structural design, analysis, and detailing of Overhead - line structures using modelling software
• Undertake structural design, analysis, and detailing of telecommunication structures using modelling software
• Prepare designs, drawings, and bill of material for various Overhead - structures types (rigid and guyed) such as single and multiple pole structures, lattice; various structure configurations; structure materials such as steel, timber, aluminum, and composites
• Prepare designs and apply loads and design criteria in accordance with regulatory and industry standards
• Undertake seismic analysis and design to regulatory and industry standards
• Consider associated and related civil, mechanical, and electrical systems in design, such as right of way use, foundation connections, lightening protection, phase separation, conductor types such as aluminum and steel, copper, and composites, conductor hardware assemblies, single and bundled conductors, various related hardware guy assemblies, insulators.
• Provide technical guidance and review of designs prepared by others following established practices
• Manage design tasks including scope, schedule, and cost. Additional Education and Skills • Communicate effectively in English verbally and in writing.
The consultant will augment the Transmission Lines Engineering Structural Design Team. The role will include the following:
The Structural Engineer will have extensive experience in transmission line supporting structure design, as well as related specialized experience in telecommunication antenna supporting structure design. The consultant’s responsibilities include but not limited to design of new supporting structures, structural assessment of supporting structures, determination of structural adequacy of supporting structures for revised loadings, identification of structural deficiencies resulting from the revised loadings and complete designs for reinforcement of the existing supporting structures.
• Develop models of transmission overhead line supporting structures using PLS-Tower/PLS-Pole computer software, or models of telecommunication antenna supporting structures using SAFI computer software, for non-linear analysis.
• Design/analyze structures for existing transmission line or telecommunication antenna supporting structures such as self-supporting and guyed steel lattice towers, steel poles, fibre-reinforced polymer poles and occasionally wood poles, based on revised loading or existing transmission line loading.
• Identify adequacies or deficiencies in existing supporting structures, based on revised loadings and existing site conditions.
• Design reinforcement details for supporting structures, including erection/detail drawings, fabrication drawings and construction/erection procedures suitable for material procurement and structural installation, as required.
• Perform independent design checks and/or reviews of work by others at identification, definition, and implementation phases of transmission design projects.
• Perform rapid assessment after structural damage to transmission or telecommunication structures to determine, recommend and implement maintenance repairs.
• Provide structural engineering support to Operations for and during an emergency. Act as POR while supporting field operations for preparation, assembly and erection of supporting structures for emergency restoration.
• Estimate costs of design, supply and construction activities.
• Develop technical specifications and construction specifications, participate in tender evaluations, review design/fabrication/erection drawings, and perform Field Reviews.
• Sign and seal all design/analysis, drawings and reports by a Professional Engineer registered with the Engineers and Geoscientist of BC.
• Complete all design work in accordance with BC Hydro Project & Portfolio Management (PPM) Design Practices and Safety by Design principles.
• Complete all records in accordance with BC Hydro Records & Information Management (RIM) Policy.
• Act as Owner’s Engineer by undertaking the review of designs by External Service Providers for BC Hydro. This may consist of projects for transmission line or telecommunication antenna supporting structures, including third party requests for antenna additions/modifications.
• Provide weekly progress reports for all on-going projects.
• Work professionally and effectively in a group environment with BC Hydro team members, as well as third party team members, in a manner that is consistent with design objective.
• Mentor intermediate/junior and new staff and provide design assistance as and when required.
• Work with BC Hydro team members and external contractors on medium to high-complexity transmission line project implementation and emergency restorations.
C. Qualifications and Experience:
• Professional Engineer registration, or eligibility to register, with EGBC
• Minimum of 8-10 years of proven working experience in projects involving detailed design of overhead Transmission infrastructure. Candidates with less years of experience may be considered at a lower level.
• Civil engineering degree from a university recognized by EGBC with specialization in Structural Engineering.
• Extensive technical knowledge, experience, and proven performance in analysis and design of overhead transmission line supporting structures, including lattice towers, steel poles, wood poles and fibre-reinforced polymer poles; knowledge of overhead transmission line design principles.
• Extensive experience with modelling and analysis using PLS-Tower and PLS-Pole software.
• Knowledge and experience with SAFI Tower Structural Engineering (TSE) software
• Familiar with BC Hydro Engineering Standards (Transmission Lines, ES41 series), working knowledge and experience with design codes and guides such as ASCE/SEI 48, ASCE 10, ASTM A394, ASTM A123, CSA C22.3 No 1, CSA C22.3 No 60826, CSA B33.4, CSA G164, CSA O15, CSA S16, CSA S37 and IEEE 691.
• Proven ability to communicate proficiently including verbal and technical writing in English language.
• Ability and willingness to travel to sites in cities and remote locations within British Columbia using all modes of transportation.