Location: Manchester, UK
Duration: 18 Months
Shift: 08:00-17:00 M-F
Hourly Rate: $95 - $125/hour
Provide Senior Licensing Engineer with working knowledge of the licensing processes in the United Kingdom (UK) including the Generic Design Assessment (GDA) process working under the direction of GE-Hitachi (GEH) New Power Plants and Products Licensing Managers to support deployment of the BWRX-300 Small Modular Reactor (SMR) in the UK. The Senior Licensing Engineers support GEH Nuclear Energy Americas LLC Regulatory Affairs in the preparation, review, and delivery of BWRX-300 licensing submittals to our customers or directly to the various nuclear regulators and will provide support for license application processes for future customers that select the BWRX-300 for construction and operation throughout the world.
Licensing Support and Deliverables in support of BWRX-300 licensing in the UK (as defined in GEH Project Work Schedules) will be provided for the following:
- Support preparation and submittal of UK GDA and site-specific license application documentation in the UK working with customers that select the BWRX-300 for construction and operation, with input from the GEH BWRX-300 Project Teams in the US and Canada.
- Prepare and review responses to UK Office of Nuclear Regulation (ONR), UK Environmental Assessment (EA), Natural Resources Wales (NRW), customer, and other stakeholder questions, as well as other regulatory required correspondence from the Company to regulators, as directed.
- Support preparation and conduct of technical and licensing presentations to the UK regulators regarding BWRX-300 pre-application activities and for any future license applications for customers that select the BWRX-300 for construction and operation.
- Coordinate and attend BWRX-300 meetings with the UK country regulators, customer, and other stakeholders as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, scientific discipline, or other related technical fields.
- Ten years or more interacting with UK regulators, or other international regulatory bodies, on behalf of nuclear power plant license applicants and license holders.
- Ability to interact with UK regulatory staff on behalf of nuclear power plant vendors during pre- application licensing activities and during license application submittals for construction and operation of a nuclear power plant.
- Knowledge of UK regulatory processes and regulatory guidance.
- Ability to prepare and supervise preparation of regulatory submittals to the UK regulators, and facilitation of UK regulator reviews and approvals in support of nuclear power plant license applications.
- Specific experience in UK regulations and regulatory guidance in one or more of the following technical areas:
- Reactor fuel design and core management requirements
- Reactor pressure vessel and ASME Class 1 valve design requirements
- Emergency core cooling system design requirements
- Safety systems design requirements, including mechanical and Instrumentation and Controls
- Safety, seismic, and quality structures, systems, and components classification requirements
- Dry containment design, including containment isolation requirements
- Evaluation of normal operation, anticipated operational occurrences, and design basis
accidents, including transient and accident analysis and acceptance criteria requirements
- Underground safety class structural design requirements
- Onsite and offsite radiological dose analyses
- Emergency planning zone development
- Previous experience with GEH, including ABWR or ESBWR licensing activities, highly desired.
- Previous experience in the evaluation of normal operation, anticipated operational occurrences, and design basis accidents with BWR construction, startup, and operations preferred.
- Previous experience in SMR licensing activities preferred.
- Previous experience in International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) requirements and guidelines preferred.
- Ability to primarily work remotely in the UK (preferably in the Manchester, UK area) and meet deliverable schedules, with on-demand support of travel to US GEH Headquarters in Wilmington, NC and other locations including GEH SMR Technologies Canada Ltd office in Markham, Ontario, UK regulator offices, UK customer offices and sites, in support of US BWRX-300 licensing activities.