Contract Duration: 12 months
Rate: Up to $96/INC
Telecom Engineering Team C needs urgently E4 IP/MPLS Telecom Design Engineer to help on the ongoing and upcoming MPLS related projects
• The E4 – Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
• A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent
• Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
• Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
• Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
• Participate in BC Hydro’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
• Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm’s, Permit to Practice with EGBC.
• EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this assignment shall work under BC Hydro’s Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm’s Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws.
Education and Skills
Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
• BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
•Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken •Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
•Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
•Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
• This role requires experience with the detailed design of telecommunications facilities involving microwave communication, channel banks, SONET multiplexer, teleprotection, fiber optic networks, C band/Ku band satellite, Tetra/VHF/UHF mobile radio, Power Line Carrier, -48 VDC Power systems, and IP/MPLS networks.
• The work is focused on Telecom Facilities Design; the preliminary and detailed design of BC Hydro’s telecommunications systems required to support electric system services, data network services and voice services.
• Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with BC Hydro project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis', calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
• Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
• Prepare signed/sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro Design Practices.
• Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field, and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
• Provide preliminary and detailed design packages for telecom projects involving microwave communication, channel banks, SONET multiplexer, teleprotection, fiber optic networks, C band/Ku band satellite, Tetra/VHF/UHF mobile radio, Power Line Carrier, -48 VDC Power systems, and IP/MPLS networks.
• Specify and procure materials, coordinate panel assemblies and staging, and testing of equipment panels prior to shipping for installation.
• Prepare construction requirements documents and circuit cutover plans.
• Prepare technical specifications, test plans and commissioning documents for the installation of telecommunication infrastructure.
• Prepare and issue channel authorizations, design configurations and settings.
• Provide technical guidance and support throughout the design process (cross-discipline integration, factory testing, installation, commissioning, and operations). • Provide training for end-users and peers on the theory and operational use of the installed or modified equipment/systems.
- Prepare technical specifications, test plans and commissioning documents for the installation of IP/MPLS routers and cards
- Configure Nokia MPLS routers and other related routers/switches, LTE CPEs. Setup Lab to execute IP/MPLS test plan
- Prepare IP/MPLS Test Report after lab or field testing
- Prepare and issue IP/MPLS related channel authorizations, design configurations and settings
- Develop and maintain MPLS related design documentation, including installation design drawing templates, Engineering Standards, material masters, settings and configuration, construction and configuration requirements, Telecom general drawings, and related databases.
- Provide IP/MPLS related troubleshooting support in the lab during test execution or to the field and control center operators during system disturbance events.
- Help to document and review on IP/MPLS related engineering standard