Location: Burnaby, BC
Contract Duration: 20 months with a possibility of extension
Job Title: Overhead Transmission Lines Engineer
* The E3-E5 - Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities
* A minimum four-ten+ (4-10+) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
* Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for projects and operations.
* Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
* Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion
* Participate in engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability
* Deliver exceptional customer service by communicating with stakeholders and performing activities such as defining the scope of engineering/geoscience services to be provided, establishing the basic design criteria with the client, approving all related technical documentation, and assessing and reporting on work progress against standards, objectives, and specifications to support completion of projects safely, with quality, within budget and on time.
Education and Skills
* Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
* The client uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
* Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
* Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
* Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
* Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
* This role requires demonstrated experience with the design of Overhead - lines for operating voltages from 60kV to 500kV in an electric utility environment.
* Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis, calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
* Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
* Prepare signed and sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC
* Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field, and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
* Prepare designs for existing and new facilities.
* Prepare designs, drawings, and bill of material for Transmission Overhead - Lines using various structure types (rigid and guyed) such as single and multiple pole structures, lattice; various structure configurations; structure materials such as steel, timber, aluminum, composites; conductor types such as aluminum and steel, copper, and composites; single and bundled conductors; and various related hardware.
* Prepare designs and apply loads and design criteria in accordance with regulatory and industry standards.
* Design and prepare plan and profile drawings of Overhead - lines using PLS-CADD software.
* Manipulate traditional and LiDAR survey data in models.
* Design fibre optic lines on new and existing transmission and distribution structures.
* Consider associated and related civil, mechanical, and electrical systems in design, such as right of way use, foundation connections, surge arresters, disconnect switches, lightening protection, phase separation, conductor hardware assemblies, guy assemblies, insulators, aerial marking, damping, vibration, jumpers, spacers, arcing horns, radio interference, audible noise, conductor optimization, galloping, vibration.
* Prepare commissioning test plans and summary of requirements documentation.
* Consider interface of lines terminations with Station design.
* Provide technical guidance and review of designs prepared by others following established practices.
* Manage design tasks including scope, schedule, and cost.