Position: Project Engineer - Electrical Construction
Location: Oakville, ON & working remote
Duration: 6 months
Responsible for overall technical coordination of projects during construction and turnover to Asset Management & Operations of new generation facilities which includes working with internal engineering team, the owners engineering consultants, EPC contractor, equipment vendors and supporting the project team with technical aspects of interconnection process. Under the direction of the Director, Project Engineering provide support for projects in construction as well as supporting development activities as needed. The purpose of the role is to provide engineering and technical coordination and support services to a wide range of power generation technologies of interest to major construction projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide supervision and coordination of all engineering functions during construction and turnover to Asset Management & Operations of new generation facilities.
a. Expected to work within multi-disciplinary/multi-departmental teams and seek as well as provide peer review for technical content to other technical staff in Liberty both within and outside the department.
b. Supervise external suppliers, contractors and consultants including reviewing work product for adherence to scope and work quality as well as worker safety when on site.
c. May be called upon to supervise/manage other department members on a long-term contract or interim basis.
Design Review and Coordination:
a. Ensure design of projects comply with the requirements of applicable agreements (EPC, TSA), codes, standards, QA/QC policies, performance standards, and industry practice.
b. Coordinate with contractors and subcontractors to ensure continuity and compatibility of design.
c. Review and comment on engineering design of projects through various design submittals from consultants and contractors
d. Ensure compliance of projects with interconnection requirements of Transmission Providers and Transmission Owners such that substation in-service, initial synchronization and project Commercial Operation milestone dates meet target dates.
e. Manage engineering clarification (RFI process) from contractor(s) and suppliers with administrative support form Project Coordinator
f. Coordinate technical deliverables required for permitting purposes
g. Providing technical calculations and opinions and undertaking research on technical issues and assimilating results. h. Assist in the development of other technical documentation, programs or procedures including those related to worker safety and operational plans as needed for project execution.
a. Cooperate and communicate effectively with project managers and project team to provide assistance and technical support.
b. Provide technical interface support with lenders engineers and independent engineers as required.
c. Provide technical leadership on developing construction, commissioning and start-up and operations plans.
d. Monitor status of project execution (permitting and construction) and act as liaison between internal and external stakeholders to adhere to project schedule.
e. Lead the project team with management of consultants and contractors, and with equipment procurement as necessary throughout construction and turnover to Asset Management & Operations.
f. Work with site personnel to ensure construction of the project follows the design requirements.
g. Manage technical information transfer between various parties (contractors, equipment suppliers, regulatory authorities, etc.) via Request For Proposals (RFIs) and Submittals/ Transmittals.
h. Lead the project team to ensure punch lists have captured all deficiencies and that deficiencies get resolved.
i. Provide technical support for change order requests from vendors/contractor(s) as well as support for scope changes j. Provide technical support for Quality related matters including NCR's, Vendor Surveillance
k. Provide turnover and transition support to successfully hand over project to asset management.
Prepares technical requisitions and scope of work definition and assists in creation and execution of EPC contracts.
Executes equipment tendering/procurement and supply chain coordination, analysis and expediting.
Resolution of inquiries, conflicts and challenges.
Potentially using computational tools and technical specifications as follows:
a. Mapping/Arc-GIS/AutoCad, Wind-Pro, PV-Syst, etc…
b. Geotechnical services (boring, test pitting, laboratory analysis, piezometers, reports)
c. Wind turbine, PV solar power generation & energy storage technology (power curves, equipment specifications, noise guarantee's and curves, etc.)
d. Ancillary equipment (padmount transformers, substation control buildings, maintenance buildings, SCADA/IT communications, etc.)
e. Transmission Lines, Switching Stations, Substations and Collector Systems
f. Other technology skills related to wind/hydro/solar power generation facilities.
Required Skill and Experience:
- University degree in engineering or equivalent education/industry experience.
- Minimum 3-5 years working experience in engineering, preferably in the power generation & renewable energy industry.
- Working knowledge entire suite of Microsoft Office programs and ability to use new software as required with the support of training as needed.
- Fundamental understanding of worker and public safety issues and environmental regulations.
- Willingness to adhere to and succeed in Liberty provided safety training including practical and in class sessions.
- Candidates with direct experience/working knowledge in the following areas are preferred:
- power generation: hydro, wind, solar
- High Voltage interconnection experience (12-230 kV)
- Solid understanding of industry codes and good utility practical
- Civil - civil structures, municipal & access roads, grading & site preparation, foundations for electrical equipment including wind turbines, solar inverters and main power transformers
- Electrical - electrical specifications & studies for transmission lines, switching stations, substations & collector systems, SLDs, AC & DC schematics, SCADA and Protection & Control schemes
- Testing and Commissioning experience.
- General project engineering experience in an EPC environment
- Preference will be given to candidates who hold or are eligible to obtain an Ontario Professional Engineering license or other Canadian province equivalent.
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
- Must hold a valid driver's license and the ability to rent vehicles on the corporate account.