Back to jobs
QA Civil/Structural Engineer
QA Civil/Structural Engineer
Location: Burnaby, BC (Hybrid - 2 days in the office)
- The E4 – Engineer is a professional engineer or geoscientist who applies engineering knowledge to provide engineering, estimating, planning, and quality management services for medium complexity projects and/or operations safely, with quality, within budget, and on time.
Experience and Role Accountabilities:
- A minimum eight (8) years of experience in a relevant engineering field or equivalent.
- Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform tasks including developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on medium complexity and scope assignments for BC Hydro projects and operations.
- Assist project or operations management to meet safety, cost, quality, and time objectives by proposing changes in plans and estimated costs, recommending payment for work completed by contractors, preparing progress reports, coordinating work schedules and other similar tasks.
- Resolve highly technical and unusual design and field engineering problems by conducting independent studies and analysis, exercising independent judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs to support successful operations and/or project completion at BC Hydro.
- Participate in BC Hydro’s engineering practice by conducting independent studies and analysis, contributing to the development of technical standards, exercising judgment in selecting and interpreting information, recommending safe engineering designs, and making decisions related to methods and designs as well as providing guidance and advice to other engineering professionals to develop future capability at BC Hydro.
- Prior to commencement on assignment, the selected candidate must have their own sole practitioner, or the use of their firm’s, Permit to Practice with EGBC.
- EGBC Registrants provided to BC Hydro through this assignment shall work under BC Hydro’s Professional Practice Management Plan, Quality Management Pillar. The Registrant shall apply their own or their firm’s Permit to Practice Number to work that is Sealed by the Registrant. Retention and preservation of all project documentation produced by the Registrant during their contract with BC Hydro will be retained by BC Hydro to satisfy EGBC Bylaws.
Education and Skills:
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
- BC Hydro uses a Digital Sign and Seal Technology. You may be required to subscribe to a digital seal technology service offered by Notarius
- Intermediate English skills for professional environment, written and spoken
- Familiarity with CAD systems and drawing standards
- Ability to use standard industry design/analysis software
- Intermediate MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Must have the successful candidate shall have a degree in Civil or Structural Engineering with over 8 years (2 of them should be QA related experience)Must have the work location will be at BCH Edmonds campus in Burnaby , BC. BCH is using hybrid model where personnel is expected to be in Office a minimum of two working days per week.
- Must have the candidate must have a valid Class 5 driver’s license. The candidate must be able to travel independently from main office to remote areas of the province including in winter conditions. Candidate may also travel to Supplier locations in and outside of Canada
- Must have strong planning, scheduling, and multi-tasking skills are required as the successful candidate will be required to work simultaneously on multiple projects (i.e., upwards of ten) at various stages of implementation.
- Must have be registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or Professional Geoscientist (P.Geo.) with Engineers & Geoscientists BC or with another jurisdiction and eligible for registration as such with Engineers & Geoscientists BC
The following experience may be considered an asset:
- Hydroelectric experience or experience working with electric utilities (transmission, distribution, generation) and related equipment fabrication and test experience;
- A knowledge of quality assurance tools and methods, including ISO 9000 series;
- Experience with public procurement processes
- Experience in auditing (manufacturing, construction site and/or plant evaluations);
- Experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Concrete mix designs, related tests, and repair methodologies (i.e., in accordance with applicable standards);
- Civil inspections, an understanding of soil sampling and testing, interpretation of fill material sampling and testing, and site compaction test analysis and reporting;
- Civil and structural design: – general concepts, good understanding of drawings and specifications;
- Concrete foundations: Rebar and form work, concrete placement, inspection and testing;
- Caissons, helical pile foundations and screw piles: installation inspection and testing;
- Pre-cast materials design, type-testing, and production testing;
- Experience with structural steel, welding practices, and inspections;
- Quality processes and practices relating to construction management