Contract Duration: 12 months
Rate: Up to $88/INC + HST
Additional Experience and Role Accountabilities
• This role requires demonstrated experience with the design of underground cables lines as well as design of submarine cables, and associated facilities for operating voltages from 60kV to 500kV in an electric utility environment.
• Prepare project documentation and deliverables in accordance with BC Hydro project and Engineering Design Practices (i.e. evaluation reports, specifications, proposals, estimates, design basis, calculations, hazard logs, test plans).
• Prepare design work packages including scope, duration, and level of effort estimates.
• Prepare signed and sealed engineering deliverables as a Professional of Record (PoR) in accordance with EGBC and BC Hydro Design Practices.
• Provide technical assistance and construction support in the field, and undertake field reviews as required by EGBC.
• Prepare designs for existing and new facilities.
• Prepare designs, drawings, and bill of material for Transmission Underground and Submarine Cable Lines using various cable types such as self contained oil filled cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE).
• Prepare designs and apply loads and design criteria in accordance with regulatory and industry standards.
•Design and prepare plan and profile drawings of Overhead - lines using PLS-CADD software.
• Consider associated and related civil, mechanical, and electrical systems in design, such as right of way use, foundation connections, surge arresters, disconnect switches, lightening protection, phase separation, conductor hardware assemblies, guy assemblies, insulators, aerial marking, damping, vibration, jumpers, spacers, arcing horns, radio interference, audible noise, conductor optimization, galloping, vibration.
• Prepare commissioning test plans and summary of requirements documentation.
• Consider interface of lines terminations with Station design.
• Provide technical guidance and review of designs prepared by others following established practices.
• Manage design tasks including scope, schedule, and cost. Additional Education and Skills
• Communicate effectively in English verbally and in writing.
- Review BC one call requests and provide stakeholder with clear written instructions of BC Hydro right of way requirements for underground cable system.
- Review and Prepare RFP for cable procurement and installation
- Work with BC Hydro field crews on cable issues such as repairs, replacements, etc.
- Work in a team environment
Experience and Qualifications
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) or the ability to immediately register with EGBC
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related experience
- 8 years experience in the electric utility industry.
- Excellent communication skills - will be working with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent leadership, technical writing, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- GIS software (SAM/DAD/POWERGRID) experience an asset